2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2008 9:52 AM by Newsgroup_User

flash as2 reference

Level 7
      I downloaded the as2 langueage reference pdf and I'm completely baffled. I
      look in the index under video and it lists nothing that has to do with
      playing, stopping or pausing a video, the current time, the duration, etc.

I looked up "playHeadTime" in the index and that didn't exist although it
      can be used in as2. I'm completely frustrated with this whole process of
      learning Flash. What am I missing?

Craig

• 1. Re: flash as2 reference
          Level 7
          Craig,

> I downloaded the as2 langueage reference pdf and I'm completely
          > baffled.

It can be baffling at first. For me, the breakthrough came when I
          realized that -- for the most part -- the Language Reference is organized
          around something called classes. Classes define objects, and generally
          (though not always) have three categories: properties (characteristics of
          the object), methods (things the object can do), and events (things the
          object can react to).

So if you're looking up movie clips, consult the MovieClip class entry.
          If you're looking up text fields, consult the TextField class, and so on.
          In the case of video, you have a few choices. You might be using the
          FLAPlayback component, in which case you'll have to consult the FLVPlayback
          class. If that's your ticket, you'll find that class -- as with all
          component classes -- in the ActionScript 2.0 Components Language Reference.
          Same goes for the Media components, if by chance you're using those.

On the other hand, if you're dealing with an actual video object, you'll
          want to consult the Video class entry of the ActionScript 2.0 Language
          Reference (it's not a component). The Video class is a bit different from
          most of the classes you'll find, because video objects work in cahoots with
          two other objects: one instance apiece of the NetConnection and NetStream
          classes. There's a hint -- admittedly not an easy one to spot -- in the
          listing for the Video.attachVideo() method. Click on that, and you'll see
          that a video instance can be attached to a NetStream instance, a Camera
          instance (for webcams), or null.

It sounds like you're after pre-recorded video, so your next stop will
          be the NetStream class, which features a number of properties, methods, and
          events you're after (play(), pause(), etc.).

> I looked up "playHeadTime" in the index and that didn't exist although
          > it can be used in as2.

The FLVPlayback class features a playheadTime property. Remember,
          though, the FLVPlayback class is listed in the Components Language
          Reference, which might be why you didn't immediately find it.

> I'm completely frustrated with this whole process of learning Flash.
          > What am I missing?

It may be that all you're missing a leg up. It's tough if you don't
          know how to get started. For what it's worth, I wrote an article on
          tackling the AS2 Language Reference (free article) at CommunityMX.com.
          Maybe it can help you get your bearings.

http://www.communitymx.com/abstract.cfm?cid=01B54

It was written for Flash 8, but the principles still apply.

David Stiller
          Co-author, Foundation Flash CS3 for Designers
          http://tinyurl.com/2k29mj
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: flash as2 reference
            Level 7
            Thanks David, that's a great start.

Certainly, the search engine seems to be of no help in unravelling what you
            have unravelled here...or, I suppose, until I learn how to use it based on
            what you've mentioned.

Craig

"David Stiller" <stiller@quip-remove-.net> wrote in message
            news:g4dfr0$ms8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Craig,
            >
            >> I downloaded the as2 langueage reference pdf and I'm completely
            >> baffled.
            >
            > It can be baffling at first. For me, the breakthrough came when I
            > realized that -- for the most part -- the Language Reference is organized
            > around something called classes. Classes define objects, and generally
            > (though not always) have three categories: properties (characteristics of
            > the object), methods (things the object can do), and events (things the
            > object can react to).
            >
            > So if you're looking up movie clips, consult the MovieClip class entry.
            > If you're looking up text fields, consult the TextField class, and so on.
            > In the case of video, you have a few choices. You might be using the
            > FLAPlayback component, in which case you'll have to consult the
            > FLVPlayback class. If that's your ticket, you'll find that class -- as
            > with all component classes -- in the ActionScript 2.0 Components Language
            > Reference. Same goes for the Media components, if by chance you're using
            > those.
            >
            > On the other hand, if you're dealing with an actual video object,
            > you'll want to consult the Video class entry of the ActionScript 2.0
            > Language Reference (it's not a component). The Video class is a bit
            > different from most of the classes you'll find, because video objects work
            > in cahoots with two other objects: one instance apiece of the
            > NetConnection and NetStream classes. There's a hint -- admittedly not an
            > easy one to spot -- in the listing for the Video.attachVideo() method.
            > Click on that, and you'll see that a video instance can be attached to a
            > NetStream instance, a Camera instance (for webcams), or null.
            >
            > It sounds like you're after pre-recorded video, so your next stop will
            > be the NetStream class, which features a number of properties, methods,
            > and events you're after (play(), pause(), etc.).
            >
            >> I looked up "playHeadTime" in the index and that didn't exist although
            >> it can be used in as2.
            >
            > The FLVPlayback class features a playheadTime property. Remember,
            > though, the FLVPlayback class is listed in the Components Language
            > Reference, which might be why you didn't immediately find it.
            >
            >> I'm completely frustrated with this whole process of learning Flash.
            >> What am I missing?
            >
            > It may be that all you're missing a leg up. It's tough if you don't
            > know how to get started. For what it's worth, I wrote an article on
            > tackling the AS2 Language Reference (free article) at CommunityMX.com.
            > Maybe it can help you get your bearings.
            >
            > http://www.communitymx.com/abstract.cfm?cid=01B54
            >
            > It was written for Flash 8, but the principles still apply.
            >
            >
            > David Stiller
            > Co-author, Foundation Flash CS3 for Designers
            > http://tinyurl.com/2k29mj
            > "Luck is the residue of good design."
            >