7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2009 7:02 PM by RoboWizard

One more question on Random Question Quizzes ...

Level 7
      I have worked through the problems and now have created several questions
      with a custom background that I have put into a pool. The actual quiz is
      made up of random questions that will draw 10 from a pool of 50.

So far, I have constructed them so the unique background lives in the
      question properties so this is the questions that are in the pool. What I
      would really like to have is for the background to attach to the random
      question itself and no background on the actual question so that a given
      question would take on a unique background based on the quiz that random
      question was becoming a part of.

I have looked through the random question options and haven't yet found
      where putting a background on a random question is an option .. only on an
      actual question.

Is this doable?

Thanks!
      Nancy

• 1. Re: One more question on Random Question Quizzes ...
          jojolina Level 1
          Hi Nancy

My understanding of your question is that you would like to create your question slides with no background and place them in a question pool. Then, when you use this pool in a project, you want the unique background of that project to also be applied to the question slides automatically.

If this is correct, then I am afraid it cannot be done as far as I know. The reason being that each slide in Captivate is a unique entity in its own right, with its own properties and though you can set a background, this cannot automatically be carried over to the question slides as well.
          • 2. Re: One more question on Random Question Quizzes ...
            Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            Hi Nancy and Andrew

Okay, thinking a bit of a different approach here. There are a couple of different options that might work.

1. Assuming that you have several question slides one after the other and they are at the end of the project, you might try inserting an image, then configuring the image to display for the rest of the project.

Or...

2. You are always able to select multiple slides, examine the slide properties and apply the same background to all the selected slides. Certainly would be easier than assigning the background individually.

Cheers... Rick
            • 3. Re: One more question on Random Question Quizzes ...
              Level 7
              Let me explain why.

I'm going to have a pool of 50 questions and students will be required to
              take a number of quizzes during the course of study. The questions are
              going to be random to prevent copying but the pool will contain all
              questions that has been covered in the material.

Currently, I have a background on my questions themselves. This works and
              the random question takes no background. I thought wouldn't it be cool to
              customize the backgrounds on the random quiz side so the background could be
              different if it was their first quiz, or their second or their third .. and
              the background would then have to be on the random question side because
              anything in the pool of 50 can be on any one quiz. In this way, really only
              1 10 question quiz would be needed because the questions would never be the
              same since the questions are random and the answers are also shuffled to
              keep a student from saying .. "the answer to so and so is letter d".

From your answers and from my own investigation as well .. looks like I just
              have to put a background on each question in the pool and be done with that.
              That's a minor issue so that's fine.

I have another more pressing issue .. and that's that ideally if a given
              student takes a quiz from a pool of 50 questions, the next quiz they take
              should be unable to have any of those first 10 questions on it .. so the
              pool for a given student taking his second quiz should be 40 with the
              previously taken questions now unavailable for that pool.

Is that doable?

Thanks!
              Nancy

"Captiv8r" <captiv8r@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
              news:g48ua0$h0r$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Hi Nancy and Andrew
              >
              > Okay, thinking a bit of a different approach here. There are a couple of
              > different options that might work.
              >
              > 1. Assuming that you have several question slides one after the other and
              > they
              > are at the end of the project, you might try inserting an image, then
              > configuring the image to display for the rest of the project.
              >
              > Or...
              >
              > 2. You are always able to select multiple slides, examine the slide
              > properties
              > and apply the same background to all the selected slides. Certainly would
              > be
              > easier than assigning the background individually.
              >
              > Cheers... Rick
              >

• 4. Re: One more question on Random Question Quizzes ...
                Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                Hi again Nancy

As long as all the quizzes are occurring within the same Captivate movie, that can happen.

I'll try to explain more here. I'll be very simplistic. Let's say you have 10 question slides inside a Question Pool. You could accomplish what you are asking if perhaps you have three slides of material, followed by maybe five random question slides drawing from the pool. Then you have perhaps three more slides of material, followed by five more random question slides drawing from the pool.

Think of question pools and random question slides as you would in this manner. You take ten sheets of paper and write questions on each sheet. These are equivalent to your question slides. You take those ten pages of questions and stick them in a box. Then randomly draw five out, one by one. This works the same with Random Question slides. As you draw each question from the pool, it is no longer available to use. So there is no chance a person might see any given question in the pool more than once.

Does that make more sense?

Cheers... Rick
                • 5. Re: One more question on Random Question Quizzes ...
                  Level 7
                  > Think of question pools and random question slides as you would in this
                  > manner. You take ten sheets of paper and write questions on each sheet.
                  > These
                  > are equivalent to your question slides. You take those ten pages of
                  > questions
                  > and stick them in a box. Then randomly draw five out, one by one. This
                  > works
                  > the same with Random Question slides. As you draw each question from the
                  > pool,
                  > it is no longer available to use. So there is no chance a person might see
                  > any
                  > given question in the pool more than once.
                  >
                  > Does that make more sense?

It makes perfect sense but that's not what I'm after unless I misunderstand
                  you. This is what I need.

Johnny takes quiz one which is made up of 10 questions randomly selected
                  from a pool of 50 and his score is recorded in a database because I'm
                  inserting his StudentID as a session variable along with the quiz score.
                  That was Thursday.

Now the following Tuesday, Johnny has to take another quiz and this one is
                  also drawn from the pool of 50 and his score is sent to the database again
                  with his Student ID.

Here is what I need. When quiz 2 is randomly selected on the second test
                  day, the questions he answered when he took Quiz 1 should not be selected to
                  be a part of quiz 2. This is a different day so he would never have
                  remained in the program for the days in between, but his StudentID is
                  constant so that is again set to be a session. What I need is for the
                  random quiz to not include those questions that were previously associated
                  with his StudentID the second or subsequent times. If this is repeated 5
                  times (10 questions per quiz), Johnny will have run out of test questions
                  because he has answered them all.

THAT's what I need. Can I do that? :)

Thanks!
                  Nancy

• 6. Re: Possible fluke duplicate random question
                    shagitty

Allowing we could have experienced a fluke, my manager was reviewing a lesson and got the same HotSpot question two times in a row. We have our questions set up in Question Pool Manager with eight questions in the HotSpot pool. We have two back-to-back random slides linked to the HotSpot pool. My manager got the wrong answer on the first HotSpot question, got the wrong answer prompt, clicked the screen to continue, and got the same question as the second random HotSpot question. Is there a setting we are missing? Was this a fluke?

Thanks!

• 7. Re: One more question on Random Question Quizzes ...
                      RoboWizard Level 4

Hi Nancy

The only way I can fathom that happening is by defining multiple pools, then linking them to different quizzes. You would then ensure Johnny never sees the same quiz twice.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links