6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2008 3:34 AM by Alsopo

Duplicate pages lose webslice names?

tcdude
      Hi

I have set up a page with a number of named slices, named because I need to export them as images with specific names.

I then want to duplicate this page, and export the slices for the new page with the same names as before. However, when I duplicate it, the names of the slices are lost, just reverting back to default values. As I want to do this a number of times, it is a real chore to have to go in and rename every slice each time I do this.

Anyone know how I can retain the slice names in the page copy?

thanks!
        • 1. Re: Duplicate pages lose webslice names?
          Level 7
          tcdude wrote:
          > Hi
          >
          > I have set up a page with a number of named slices, named because I need to
          > export them as images with specific names.
          >
          > I then want to duplicate this page, and export the slices for the new page
          > with the same names as before. However, when I duplicate it, the names of the
          > slices are lost, just reverting back to default values. As I want to do this a
          > number of times, it is a real chore to have to go in and rename every slice
          > each time I do this.
          >
          > Anyone know how I can retain the slice names in the page copy?
          >
          > thanks!
          >

Just so I'm clear, the duplicate page has different image content but
          you want to retain the same slice names? It might be a limitation of
          CS3. Can you share the file with us?

--
          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          CommunityMX - Free Resources:
          http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          Adobe Community Expert
          http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
          ---
          See my work on Flickr
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_babbage/
          • 2. Re: Duplicate pages lose webslice names?
            tcdude Level 1
            quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
            tcdude wrote:
            > Hi
            >
            > I have set up a page with a number of named slices, named because I need to
            > export them as images with specific names.
            >
            > I then want to duplicate this page, and export the slices for the new page
            > with the same names as before. However, when I duplicate it, the names of the
            > slices are lost, just reverting back to default values. As I want to do this a
            > number of times, it is a real chore to have to go in and rename every slice
            > each time I do this.
            >
            > Anyone know how I can retain the slice names in the page copy?
            >
            > thanks!
            >

Just so I'm clear, the duplicate page has different image content but
            you want to retain the same slice names? It might be a limitation of
            CS3. Can you share the file with us?
            --

Hi Jim

Thanks for the reply. I don't know how to share files on this forum, and it is prob not necessary for this one either. Create or place any old image on a page, and then create a slice and give it a name, e.g. fred.png. Then duplicate the page and look at the slice name in the duplicate page. It is some default name (e.g. slice). For me this loss of info is a real pain.

I am wanting to create a page containing a master set of images and slices, and then duplicate and resize the page so I can export them for different screen sizes. The reason I need slices, is that they are positioned, and I need individual elements. I cannot see why Fireworks CS3 should lose the slice names when duplicating a page. Does not make sense to me!

NB: Do you know if there is a way I can retrieve the pixel coordinates for exported slices? e.g. x, y, width and height?

thanks again
            • 3. Re: Duplicate pages lose webslice names?
              pixlor Level 4
              quote:

Originally posted by: tcdude
              <snip>
              Hi Jim

Thanks for the reply. I don't know how to share files on this forum, and it is prob not necessary for this one either. Create or place any old image on a page, and then create a slice and give it a name, e.g. fred.png. Then duplicate the page and look at the slice name in the duplicate page. It is some default name (e.g. slice). For me this loss of info is a real pain.

I am wanting to create a page containing a master set of images and slices, and then duplicate and resize the page so I can export them for different screen sizes. The reason I need slices, is that they are positioned, and I need individual elements. I cannot see why Fireworks CS3 should lose the slice names when duplicating a page. Does not make sense to me!

NB: Do you know if there is a way I can retrieve the pixel coordinates for exported slices? e.g. x, y, width and height?

thanks again

Why not use File>Save As... to save a copy of your Fireworks document with a new name, then edit the copy to have the new content? Resizing is a bit of a trick, however, as the canvas doesn't scale or resize with the objects.

The width, height, and coordinates of a slice are shown in the Info palette when you select it, just as with any other object.
              • 4. Re: Duplicate pages lose webslice names?
                Level 7
                tcdude wrote:
                >
                quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                > tcdude wrote:
                > > Hi
                > >
                > > I have set up a page with a number of named slices, named because I need to
                > > export them as images with specific names.
                > >
                > > I then want to duplicate this page, and export the slices for the new page
                > > with the same names as before. However, when I duplicate it, the names of
                > the
                > > slices are lost, just reverting back to default values. As I want to do this
                > a
                > > number of times, it is a real chore to have to go in and rename every slice
                > > each time I do this.
                > >
                > > Anyone know how I can retain the slice names in the page copy?
                > >
                > > thanks!
                > >
                >
                > Just so I'm clear, the duplicate page has different image content but
                > you want to retain the same slice names? It might be a limitation of
                > CS3. Can you share the file with us?
                > --
                > Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                >

>
                > Hi Jim
                >
                > Thanks for the reply. I don't know how to share files on this forum, and it is
                > prob not necessary for this one either. Create or place any old image on a
                > page, and then create a slice and give it a name, e.g. fred.png. Then duplicate
                > the page and look at the slice name in the duplicate page. It is some default
                > name (e.g. slice). For me this loss of info is a real pain.
                >
                > I am wanting to create a page containing a master set of images and slices,
                > and then duplicate and resize the page so I can export them for different
                > screen sizes. The reason I need slices, is that they are positioned, and I need
                > individual elements. I cannot see why Fireworks CS3 should lose the slice names
                > when duplicating a page. Does not make sense to me!
                >
                > NB: Do you know if there is a way I can retrieve the pixel coordinates for
                > exported slices? e.g. x, y, width and height?
                >
                > thanks again
                >

Have you tried using a Master page for the slices? Then you do not need
                to duplicate the slices on each page.

The other option is to copy the slices then paste them into the new page.

--
                http://www.communityMX.com/
                CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                ---
                .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                Adobe Community Expert
                http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
                ---
                See my work on Flickr
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_babbage/
                • 5. Re: Duplicate pages lose webslice names?
                  tcdude Level 1
                  Hi guys. Thanks so much for your help. As it happens, I decided earlier to try copying and pasting the slices layer and see what happened - and it worked. So, to recap, I created a page, then copied the page, then pasted the slice layer into the copy.

This works for me, because after that stage I then resize the entire page (resize Image) and all the slices get resized at the same time - which is what I need to do.

I dont know how to use a Master layer, but i dont think this would work for me because of the resizing issue.

thanks again!
                  • 6. Re: Duplicate pages lose webslice names?
                    Alsopo
                    Thanks for the info too guys i really needed that