• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I make Pages with print only layers to not be visible when exporting an interactive pdf?

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an interactive pdf that I am creating a print version for. I have created pages with the layer that will be printed, but when I export I now have a number of blank pages. Is there a way to make those pages not visible when exported?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I guess the below should help solve your problem...

1. Hide all layers that you do not want to export.. Use layers panel and toggle the visibility

2. Instead of exporting, print it as Adobe Pdf and uncheck the Include Blank page option...

Do remember to check the document numbering when the final pdf is created!

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This method is less automated as amaaarora's brilliant example, but Incase you are on Mac or do not have the PDF printer.

Specify the exact pages you want using the range button.

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 11.50.08 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But will this allow me to print the pages I want to be printed but not shown, and show the pages I want to be visible when using the interactive pdf, but keep them from printing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you are telling InDesign exactly which page numbers you want in your PDF, and then when printing you would enter in a similar dialog box the exact page numbers of what you desire to print.

Notice the comma and dash usage for ranges. If you used sectioning to renumber page numbers in your document, you will need to add "+" before the page numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I make these the default print setting so when my client uses this pdf they just have to hit print, and it will work the way it is supposed to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that cannot be done directly from the Acrobat. Closest I could get was to make a print button, but that just takes you to the menu and does to allow you to save which pages to print.

Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 10.12.59 AM.png

A javascript may be able to be modify that button action, but that would be a question for the Acrobat or Javascript forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Did you read my reply above?

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of CC are you running because I do not get the option for Adobe PDF in the printer section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure exactly what you want to accomplish.

- If you need two kinds of PDFs (interactive and print), export the page ranges separately to produce two different files.

- If you need all pages exported, but want only certain pages viewed, while others are hidden, then this could be accomplished with a workaround in Acrobat. You just can't hide pages from view, but you can have attachments. The attachments could be the hidden pages that are activated with a button.

- If you need all pages exported, but want a visitor to be able to print only a certain range, then this can be done in Acrobat with a button and javascript. The following js    this.print(true, 0, 1, 2, 5, 7,);   would print pages 1, 2, 3, 6, 8 of document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2017 Aug 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could export all the pages, open the document in Acrobat, go to TOOLS>ORGANIZE PAGES and delete the pages you don't want to include. Then just save that version of the document.Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 3.54.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BMurr2,

Would be appreciated if you could reply, as you have a number of great replies here, and not sure if you still need help. If we are not understanding your needs please explain. Is not clear if you just want to make a PDF which has certain page sin them, or if you possible want all the pages in the .pdf but for certain ones to not print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies. I have not had access all weekend.

amaarora

I am trying your suggestion, but When I go to the print menu I do not get the option to "print to pdf" in the "Printer" drop down.

Jeffery_Smith

I need one pdf. The pdf has interactive elements. It has buttons that take you from page to page, and buttons that on a single page allow for elements to appear and disappear, when activated. (this is the part that has things that would overlap when printed) The third interactive element is a print button, that when activated would print the pdf excluding the page that has the overlapping elements, but including the pages of this layout with the elements laid out to be legible. these pages, however, would not be visible when using the interactive elements on the screen.

Lisa Maxwell Art Director

Thank you for your suggestion but that is not what I am trying to accomplish.

MikeGondek

I am sorry I did not respond sooner. I do not believe that your suggestion will work for what I am trying to accomplish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would create a PDF without that not visible layer and create that layer as extra PDF. In Acrobat Pro you can add a background, use that extra PDF and set this background visible on print, invisible on screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willi,

I have posted this question in the Acrobat forums as well and they told me to bring it here.

But I believe what you are suggesting is what I am looking for. Do you have a tutorial on how to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Create a PDF for the Screen Part
  2. Create a PDF for the Print Only Part
  3. Open the Screen PDF in Acrobat Pro
  4. Tools > Edit PDF
  5. Click on the Add Watermark
  6. Source: Select File > Your PDF for Print only, define the range as you can apply for different pages different watermarks
    You have the best control if the page size of the watermark is the same as the document size, both PDFs.
    Screenshot 2017-08-29 21.09.13.png
  7. Location: Behind Page
  8. Click on the Appearance Options …
    Screenshot 2017-08-29 21.09.27.png
    Select Show when Printing, deselect Show when displaying on screen.

9. Save your PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

First of all, IMHO this question should take place in the Acrobat forum.

Now, if you want to print pages that don't show in Acrobat, I suggest you change those pages into templates.

Then turn their visibility off.

Finally assign custom javascript to the print button.

Javascript code will get the templates (getTemplate function) and spawn them (spawn function), then print the doc (no JS in my example below, but could be) and finally delete the spawn pages. Make sure these instructions are in correct order.

Not knowing how is your document set and where the "hidden" pages should be spawned, I made a small example with spawned pages added at the end of the document. But you can add numbering properties to the spawn function. Obviously, Indesign Page Auto-numbering will not be your friend here, unless all the spawned pages are meant to be at the very end of the PDF

In addition: Please note that if you want to hide an element on a page in Acrobat but be able to print it, you can (in Indesign), transform it into a button, check "Printable" and "Hide Until Triggered".

See example below:

spawn.gif

Hope I understood your question correctly ^^

Vinny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vinny38

Do you have the example in English, not French? I would very much like to test this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry bmurr,

I have a French version only, but with the explanation, I'm sure you can figure it out and test it.

Although I'm still not sure I understood exactly what you want to achieve..., 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a different version of Acrobat so it is hard to figure out which tools you are using and what steps you are taking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but there is not much I can do about it...

I guess you can Google "PDF page template spawn" or  browse the Acrobat  CC help.

Again I think the Acrobat forum would have been a more appropriate place, I'm surprised the Acrobat lads sent you here. Probably they did have hard time understanding your request, just like me (us?) 🙂

Graphic designers like visual stuff. Illustrating your request with some screenshots would have been helpful. Help us to help you...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work as both images showed when printing and the number of pages I need to be printed is greater than those that need to display digitally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, it is only printing the first page of the print version not all of the pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or the command "this.deletePages({nStart: 2,nEnd 3}); are you trying to delete these pages? what does this accomplish?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this javascript is necessary to accomplish what you want. I think it can be done with form field properties, that will allow you to make fields visible, but not printable.

Can you post the PDF or facsimile ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines