3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2008 8:36 PM by invision-studios

How to access properties of symbols in loaded SWF?

invision-studios
      I'm making the migration from Flash to Flex, but I'm running into a dead end on one particular area: accessing and manipulating properties of symbols in a loaded SWF.

The SWF is actually a simple library of a detailed parts illustration. I would like to load the entire SWF in position, and be able to change the attributes (i.e. colors) of individual symbols (or parts of the illustration). I can load, display and manipulate each symbol separately, but I need the parts to remain in place.

The original art was created in Illustrator and exported as SWF using the symbols palette.

I can always go back to Flash, but I'm forcing myself to move forward and do this project in Flex (baptism by fire!!).

Is there some sort of dot notation to access the symbols from within the SWF, without loading them all separately?

Let me put this another way: it appears that I can load an SWF and then instantiate each symbol in that SWF, and then load each symbol to the 'stage' (or whatever it's called in Flex) separately.

I can certainly instantiate each symbol separately, and then align it on stage, but it seems to me to be bass-ackward to do it that way, expecially since I created the original SWF with everything in position.

Is there no way to access the attributes of the individual symbols within an SWF without separately instantiating them?

I'm just having trouble getting my head around this. Any help is greatly appreciated.