• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dell Computer Purchase for Premiere Pro

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking to buy a new computer that will work well with Premiere Pro.  Any feedback on these specs is much appreciated.

I typically shoot in 4k.  The rendering out part can be anything that's HD and up.  However, if possible, I'd like to buy a computer that will allow me to start the rendering process and then still have enough power left to allow me to work on simple projects in Adobe Illustrator or Muse.

I have to buy from Dell because it's for work, and my employer has a deal going with Dell.  I don't know much about hardware.  So, I'm just typing exactly what I see on the Dell page for the options I chose.  Here's what I'm looking at buying:

• Intel Core i7 7800X (6-core, 8.25MB Cache, up to 4.0GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0)
  • Alienware 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply with modular cabling
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti with 11 GB GDDR5X
  • 32 GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2400MHz; up to 64 GB (additional memory sold separately)
  • 32 GB Intel Optane memory accelerated 1TB 7200RPM HDD

Not sure if the link will work, but here's the link where I set it up: Alienware Area-51 Gaming Desktop | Dell United States

Total Cost is: $2,799.99.  I'd rather find something cheaper if possible, but I'm thinking that these are the options that will allow me to render and still have juice to do something else at the same time.

If anyone has any suggestions on what to upgrade or what to downgrade, it would be much appreciated. I've been watching YouTube videos on hardware and scouring forums like this, but I still don't quite know what I'm doing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What hard drive option did you choose?

You want an M2 SSD at least, preferably at least 512 GB

What brand and model SSDs do they offer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. 

I had chosen the

• 32 GB Intel Optane memory accelerated 1TB 7200RPM HDD

However, they offer the following in dual drives:

• 128 GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot) +2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
  • 256 GB M.2 PCleSSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
  • 512 GB M.2 PCle SSD (Boot) + 2 TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
  • 1 TB M.2 PCle SSD (Boot) + 2 TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

So, I guess I should choose that 3rd option there?  Are you saying that will help with running the rendering and another program at the same time? Or was there some different reason?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Texas1  wrote

Thanks. 

• 1 TB M.2 PCle SSD (Boot) + 2 TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

That is the best option of the choices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since they apparently did not offer an option of a SATA III SSD as the boot drive and they will put your OS/Application on that M.2 drive you should also put all your current project(s), including media, also on the M.2 drive since it is super fast.  Then when you finish a project you can move project and media files all to the hard disk drive and keep the M.2 just for current projects.  That is why Peru Bob recommended the 1TB M.2 version.  I actually tested that configuration with my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) and it works very good.

If anyone fusses at the price, compromise with them an drop back to a GTX 1080 GPU and save $200 as the difference with your 6-core CPU will only be a few % points difference in performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ohhhh. I get it. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines