11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2010 3:23 AM by Michel Bozgounov

Hand Tool problem

Level 7
      Help. This has happened to me a couple of times before and I still haven't
      found a solution.

Fireworks CS3 opens with the Hand tool (Tools panel > View bottom left for
      me) selected, and I can't deselect it or select any of the other tools. Am
      going nuts here, what have I done and how do I rectify it.....Please?

Peter

• 1. Re: Hand Tool problem
          Level 7
          PJR wrote:
          > Help. This has happened to me a couple of times before and I still haven't
          > found a solution.
          >
          > Fireworks CS3 opens with the Hand tool (Tools panel > View bottom left for
          > me) selected, and I can't deselect it or select any of the other tools. Am
          > going nuts here, what have I done and how do I rectify it.....Please?
          >
          > Peter
          > ___________________
          >
          >
          Have you tried deleting the preferences file, Peter?

--
          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          CommunityMX - Free Resources:
          http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          Adobe Community Expert
          http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
          ---
          See my work on Flickr
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_babbage/
          • 2. Re: Hand Tool problem
            Level 7
            I thought about that Jim, but directly after I'd sent the message, I went
            back to FWs and guess what? The hand cursor had vanished! So all is well for
            the time being, but I wish I knew what was causing it. Next time I get stuck
            with it I'll try deleting the preferences.

Thanks

Peter
            | PJR wrote:
            | > Help. This has happened to me a couple of times before and I still
            haven't
            | > found a solution.
            | >
            | > Fireworks CS3 opens with the Hand tool (Tools panel > View bottom left
            for
            | > me) selected, and I can't deselect it or select any of the other tools.
            Am
            | > going nuts here, what have I done and how do I rectify it.....Please?
            | >
            | > Peter
            | > ___________________
            | >
            | >
            | Have you tried deleting the preferences file, Peter?
            |
            | --
            | Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
            | http://www.communityMX.com/
            | CommunityMX - Free Resources:
            | http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
            | ---
            | .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
            | Adobe Community Expert
            | http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
            | ---
            | See my work on Flickr
            | http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_babbage/

• 3. Re: Hand Tool problem
              Primsi79

For me (FW CS4 - 10.0.3.011) the problem was caused by Commands -> Demo current document which I run before the problem appeared. When I run this command again, and pressed Cancel the hand tool problem disappeared.

• 4. Re: Hand Tool problem
                ctreitzell

I have been experiencing this hand tool lock-up as well with Fireworks CS4.

For me this hand tool lock-up occurs when viewing/ following along with adobe tv tutorial using IE8. I have a dual monitor setup using CS4 on Vista Home Premium; new VAIO with new Samsung monitor connected via hdmi (FW on samsung monitor). I haven't really gone on an extensive search to rectify. It is difficult to follow the "lesson" tho. If I restart FW & DW; as normal behavior in FW resumes. To clarify: this only happens to me when I'm viewing adobe tv with FW & DW open. I will update to further pinpoint the behavior.

...ok, a few minutes later & I can recreate this behavior of the only available tool in FW being the hand tool:

1.open IE(8)>adobe tv>choose an "episode"

2. open FW (file)

3. Click on adobe video control to view in full screen mode>full screen display.

4. If I then try to use (lft-click) FW, flex video player will escape Full Screen mode back to default.

5. Then try flex fullscreen mode & FW hand tool is the only tool available. Restarting FW will not rectify; I did wait a reasonable amount of time (5min).

Requires computer restart to return to normal FW behavior.

I have not tried this with any other adobe software as of this writing.

Multiple monitors not the issue as I tested with single only.

I also tested with different FW files. When this happened to me yesterday, I believe I was able to rectify by restarting FW app, but my prefs were hosed (don't remember the exact steps, tho) (FYI: I am using a customized view...I will try with a default) . Restart of comp sorted it out yesterday.

thanks,

_ctreitzell

• 5. Re: Hand Tool problem
                  no nicknames left

the problem is with full screen flash. After viewing Ful screen flash video often FW gets the hand tools and it wont go away till reboot {win Vista}. Only started happening around flash 10 install

• 6. Re: Hand Tool problem
                    Merovech

Thought I was losing my mind, after reading here I found a method to 'unlock' the hand tool. After closing the browser, if you are locked to a hand tool, re-open the browser with FW running, or go to the help section from FW to access the online help.

However you do it, once the browser relaunches and you view an actual page of some sort close the browser and upon returning to FW the hand should be gone. I have recreated the problem several times, and for me, this has worked 100%. Still highly inconvenient though.

I can confirm from my recreation that any Flash Media in full screen will cause it to happen 75+% of the time.

• 7. Re: Hand Tool problem
                      no nicknames left Level 1

Well this doesnt work for me[ Win Vista 64] bit ..now i'm pissed off cause i have to save and shut down everything and restart my computer..oh now i dont...not so pissed.

So y viewed full screen vid from You tube

Got the hand problem..

I closed FW and the Browser.

Then i opened FW again..still hand problem..

then i accessed help and online help..viewed in browser..still hand problem

tried different browsers..still hand problem.

Shut down everything and loged in to this forum.

decided to re-open FW and try...it now is ok

so YAY!..heh..erm ahh!

after some experimenting it seems...for me at least that posting to this forum...then re opening fw will fix it..just browsing the web doesnt.

..Tried this on my other computer. FW CS3 Win7 RC but nothing sems to fix it except reboot...Oh..I lie again.

Seems if i go through fw  help to online docs it fixes it.well this time anyhow.

So in conclusion..what fixes it it coming here and saying that the fix doesnt work then trying it one last time..it would be quicker to reboot.

BTW  FWcS4 is very flaky on Win 7..even more so than on vista.

• 8. Re: Hand Tool problem
                        eZen

This happens often with Photoshop CS3/4 here. Just hit the space bar when the hand tool locks and it will get back to normal.

• 9. Re: Hand Tool problem
                          vsswp

This is an excellent post ! Spacebar works for me in FW CS4, Hand tool problem no more,,, thanks alot hopefully this will continue to make that issue go away in the future as well Thanks Alot!!! Who wants to have to reboot not me when time matters!

• 10. [SOLVED] Re: Hand Tool problem
                            Chris.DeDavid

Thanks to someone else's reply.

Open Online Help from "Help" menu.

This, for some weird reason, will magically unlock the tools

Tags: fireworks cs3 cs4 Tools Lockup locked can't select a tool

Actually happens in all versions.

• 11. Re: Hand Tool problem
                              Michel Bozgounov Level 2

1) Pressing "space" fixed the problem in Fireworks!

2) Yes, Flash 10 is the problem -- when you play video fullscreen, then switch to Fireworks, the big is triggered. "Space" is a good workaround...

3) Because Flash 10 is the "culprit" I am not sure the Fireworks team can fix this bug...

Cheers,

--Michel