3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2008 3:11 PM by Shandy Elliott

Flash 2004 MX will not import .FLA's into the library

dandotson
      I can't imagine why this is- but if someone has some eperience here- I would be so ever grateful.

I can't get Flash MX 2004 to inport FLA files into the shared library. When I select inport/into shared library I get an error message that says flash does not recognize the .fla file type and wants to know if I should let quick time see if it can recognize the file. "Use quicktime instead".

Here is what I have tried:
      Reset the file types in File/Folder under control panel to default- Flash- But all file types were already recognzed- -reset was just a deperation hope and prayer.
      Un-installed quicktime then tried to import- no
      un-installed flash- reinstalled flash- tried to import- no
      Installed newest version of Quicktime and then tried to import- no
      Reverted to a prior system restore point- then
      Re-installed Flash - tried to import-no
      looked in the registry but could not navigate to anything that resembled file extensions-

Flash saves FLA's and makes SWF's just as it should- opens FLA's and sees FLA file types in the saved folder.

When I initialize the import/to library functon FLA file types are not listed unless I select "all file types" in the file types drop down- it does recognize SWFs

Flash did recognize FLA's until I played a Quicktime Instruction CD. With no further action on my part, it quit importing correctly-
      No viruses are found

?? ideas

Thanks
      -D

Any other ideas or work-arounds would be greatly appreciated-
        • 1. Re: Flash 2004 MX will not import .FLA's into the library
          Shandy Elliott Level 1
          Oh my god... you surely went through a lot of unnecessary steps with uninstalling/reinstalling/restore point for something like this. I'm glad you didn't go so far as a reformat. Did you look online for that error? You don't "import" a flash file, you open it. You "can" open a flash library, but not through importing it. Next time, I would look online for help with errors like that before you go as far as you did.

"When I initialize the import/to library functon FLA file types are not listed unless I select "all file types" in the file types drop down- it does recognize SWFs"

As mentioned above, you don't import Flash files, you open them, so that's why you don't see flash files as "available file types".
          • 2. Re: Flash 2004 MX will not import .FLA's into the library
            dandotson Level 1
            Thanks Shane- but when I need to share a library file- I select file/ import to library and that is where I get the error- I was able to share Flash librarys befor I played the quicktime file- and now- unfortunately FLAs are an unrecognized format. And I am no longer getting the additional mesage "do you want Quicktime to try and open them. Just a message that says "one or more files were not imported because there were errors reading them"

But they open in flash.... which is what I don't understand- something has happend that flash no-longer sees the fla file type under the File/ Import to Library.

-D
            Yeah, that would have been a ton of effort... Hopefully a little more clarification in the details...

• 3. Re: Flash 2004 MX will not import .FLA's into the library
              Shandy Elliott Level 1
              Like I said before, you can't import a flash file (fla) to the library or stage, you open it. You import things like swf files, images, sounds, etc, but you can't import a flash file. If you want to import a flash library (you are actually just opening it), you go to import/open external library. When you go to import/to library or stage, you "will" see the flash file (fla) type, (then again, you should see (All Files *.*)) in the Files of Type drop down menu which is misleading, but that doesn't mean you can import them. When you say "share the library", do you mean to say "use the library". I don't what else to tell you, you simply cannot import flash files like you mentioned.