3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2008 12:48 PM by Newsgroup_User

Connecting Flex to PHP returned XML

Arthur-Lockman
      Hello! im new to flex and i have a question that i am hoping someone can answer. I have a flex app that i am building that needs to display a list of dynamic images, preferably with icons. I've built the Title list, but i don't know how to connect the HTTPService data to the list. the HTTPService is returning XML data, so it must be easy. but, as i said, Im really new. Please Help Me!!
        • 1. Re: Connecting Flex to PHP returned XML
          justria Level 1
          I'd propose to use AMFPHP, which passes data using Flash' native AMF format. Please review this site, which provides the lib and great examples:

http://www.amfphp.org/
          • 2. Re: Connecting Flex to PHP returned XML
            Arthur-Lockman Level 1
            I do like that idea, but I have an existing site that is built off of many PHP scripts that i am developing for AIR. All i have to do is change the output to XML and the app is done. So, i'm reluctant to use AMFPHP for that reason.
            • 3. Re: Connecting Flex to PHP returned XML
              Level 7

"arthurlockman" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:g7kk4g$177$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Hello! im new to flex and i have a question that i am hoping someone can
              > answer. I have a flex app that i am building that needs to display a list
              > of
              > dynamic images, preferably with icons. I've built the list, but i don't
              > know
              > how to connect the HTTPService data to the list. the HTTPService is
              > returning
              > XML data, so it must be easy. but, as i said, Im really new. Please Help
              > Me!!
              >

Depending on what you're wanting to do, you can either use a Repeater with
              an Image or custom component that contains an Image or you can use a List
              based component to display an Image or custom component with an Image (or
              SwfLoader, or Loader) in it. There is literally a ton of stuff about this
              in the Help. Here are some places you may want to try:

Help>Flex Start Page>Creating a Simple RIA
              Help>Help Contents>User Interfaces
              - Using Data Providers and Collections
              - Controls
              - SwfLoader
              - Using Data Driven Controls
              - Using Item Renderers and Item Editors
              - Dynamically Repeating Controls and Containers

Here is an example that might get you running fast *if* you are not the type
              to read the docs:

http://examples.adobe.com/flex2/inproduct/sdk/photoviewer/PhotoViewer.html

HTH;

Amy