Could anyone help me to get my Problem solved?
It would already be enough, if anyone had the description of the Error Codes..
Many Many Thanks..
Please don't post the same issue to 3 different topics. It creates confusion. Please reply to this topic, not the others.
Error 183 is a Microsoft error code. Details on it are available at System Error Codes (0-499) (Windows)
The other errors indicate the request to the currentmajor.xml file failed. Using a browser, please attempt to view the locally hosted currentmajor.xml file (e.g. launch browser, navigate to https://your.domain.com//pub/flashplayer/update/current/sau/currentmajor.xml). Does the page display?
Many thanks for your Reply.
In future i will only write in this Topic.
Sorry for my several Postings.
I have access to currentmajor.xml and i can navigate to the whole Folder Structure
I get no Certificate Issue. This is the Content of the File:
According to your detailed List Error Code 183 tells me, that the File already exists.
What File already exists? I have extracted the whole Archive to the Server, as mentioned in the Admin Guide,
- 183 (0xB7)
Cannot create a file when that file already exists.
Do you have an Idea, why Error Code 183 is showing up?
All the Files are extracted to the Folder Structure mentioned in the Admin Guide of Adobe.
The Permissions are correct, because i can browse to all the Folders and the XML stored there.
The Certificate is imported and shows no Error, too.
Why then Error Code 183?
Which File already exists, after finding the currentmajor.xml?
Many Thanks for your Help.
Could someone help me with the Error/Warning Codes:
I have absolutely no Idea what these Numbers are meaning. :-(
Finally i could solve the Issue by myself.
For anyone, that have the same Error:
It turned out, that the Server Port "8084" caused the Issue.
The internal Background Update Service only works with Port 80 or 443.
So the Standard Ports are the Requirements. Do not change. Otherwise it won't work.
The decisive point was this Thread: (188.8.131.52) Silent auto update does not work.
There a User gave a very valuable Hint:
If you see the following in the log file, then the request to the server is failing:
2015-10-22+23-34-0.712 [warning] 1470 12029
2015-10-22+23-34-0.717 [warning] 1474 183
2015-10-22+23-34-0.722 [warning] 1475
So i deployed the IIS to another Server and configured the Standard Ports 80/443.
And suddenly the Update Process worked fine. No Error or Warning Codes anymore.
2017-9-18+13-14-47.180 [info] 1629 server.company.local
2017-9-18+13-14-47.196 [info] 1614
2017-9-18+13-14-47.196 [info] 1615
2017-9-18+13-14-47.212 [info] 1618
2017-9-18+13-14-47.212 [info] 1619 1063
2017-9-18+13-14-47.243 [info] 1629 server.company.local
2017-9-18+13-14-47.259 [info] 1614
2017-9-18+13-14-47.259 [info] 1615
2017-9-18+13-14-47.274 [info] 1618
2017-9-18+13-14-47.274 [info] 1604
2017-9-18+13-14-47.274 [info] 1608
2017-9-18+13-14-47.290 [info] 1631 /pub/flashplayer/update/current/sau/currentmajor.xml
2017-9-18+13-14-47.462 [info] 1630 /pub/flashplayer/update/current/sau/27/xml/version.xml
2017-9-18+13-14-47.509 [info] 1630 /pub/flashplayer/update/current/sau/26/xml/version.xml
2017-9-18+13-14-47.556 [info] 1632
2017-9-18+13-14-47.587 [info] 1632
2017-9-18+13-14-47.618 [info] 1630 /pub/flashplayer/update/current/sau/26/xml/patch.xml
=O====== M/184.108.40.206 2017-09-18+13-14-53.931 ========
0000 [W] 00001113 C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\www.macromedia.com\bin\* 3
0001 [I] 00000010 FlashPlayerInstaller.exe -install -iv 9
0002 [I] 00000011 1
0003 [W] 00001037 SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe.com/FlashPlayer/ 2
0004 [W] 00001037 SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe Flash Player NPAPI/ 2
0005 [W] 00001037 SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe Flash Player Plugin/ 2
0006 [W] 00001036 Software\Mozilla\Firefox\extensions/Plugins 2
0007 [W] 00001036 Software\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox\extensions/Plugins 2
0008 [W] 00001036 Software\Mozilla\NativeMessagingHosts\extensions/Plugins 2
0009 [W] 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Last CommandLine 2
0010 [W] 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Last CommandLine 2
0011 [W] 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Plugin Path 2
0012 [W] 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Plugin Path 2
0013 [W] 00001037 SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\\FlashUtil32_26_0_0_126_Plugin.exe/ 2
0014 [W] 00001037 SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\\FlashPlayerPlugin_26_0_0_126.exe/ 2
0015 [I] 00000014
0016 [I] 00000015 C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil32_26_0_0_151_Plugin.exe
0017 [I] 00000016 C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil32_26_0_0_151_Plugin.dll
0018 [I] 00000024 C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\plugin.vch
0019 [I] 00000017 C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash
0020 [I] 00000022 C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerPlugin_26_0_0_151.exe
0021 [I] 00000021 C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe
0022 [I] 00000012
=X====== M/220.127.116.11 2017-09-18+13-15-12.746 ========
Many Thanks for the very helpfull Tipps and Hints and the Support to solve this Issue.
I apologize, your issue fell through the cracks. Yes, as you have discovered, Background Updates only works on a specific port, which is documented in the Flash Player Admin Guide (see section 'Background updates from an internal server', page 24 of the current vesion of the Guide). At this time Background Updates only works on port 443 (SSL port).
This valuable Hint you could have gave me much more earlier. I thought, the Port is fine, i changed into. You haven't written any word, because of my first posting. There you could see, that i have configured Port 8084. So i thought this is not the Issue. But after searching the whole Web and finding this Post, i decided to change the port back to Standard. This Issue has driven me nuts.. :-(