• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to remove red pencil lines from a illustration which is already colored with Copic markers?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need some help...I'm wondering how to remove red pencil lines when the drawing is already traditional colored with the hand. I can only find tutorials about removing red or blue pencil lines when the drawing is not colored. Is this possible or maybe I want something what isn't possible, I don't know. But for me it seems to be quite a job to erase every pencil line one for one and my drawing isn't going to look very nice then. Thank you in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

This will get you part way there:

Add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer, and use the Master drop-down and select the reds.

Drag the saturation all the way to the left, and Lightness all the way to the right.  This will make all the reds in the image full white.

You'll need to do the same again for the Magnetas in this image.

Now invert the layer mask (Ctrl i) and paint over the red pencil lines with a white brush.

Now add a copy merged layer to the top of the stack (select the top layer and Shift Ctr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much depends upon the difference in density of the red lines when compared to the red of the art. With an adequate difference the Blend If command may help solve the problem. Another consideration is the width of the lines. If they are thin enough, their removal may leave an area that can be filled via the Spot Healing brush or other technique. All this is guesswork without seeing the art. Post a section of it here and we will try to help.

insert image small.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the Red Channel to  see if it i strong enough to make a selection, if it is you can use the Channel mixer to reduce the Red from the Red channel to zero and perhaps replacing it with the green channel. If the drawing is already coloured then you may have to change it back to Greyscale to remove the lines and then add the colour back in. Can you upload the image so I can take a look please?

Hope this helps,

Angie Taylor | Creative Cabin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a sample image so we can see what you are talking about. I have some ideas but would need to see the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

theangietaylor​ ExedyUSA​ norman.sanders​

Eeke portret.jpg

Here you go! This is the image were I was talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will get you part way there:

Add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer, and use the Master drop-down and select the reds.

Drag the saturation all the way to the left, and Lightness all the way to the right.  This will make all the reds in the image full white.

You'll need to do the same again for the Magnetas in this image.

Now invert the layer mask (Ctrl i) and paint over the red pencil lines with a white brush.

Now add a copy merged layer to the top of the stack (select the top layer and Shift Ctrl Alt e)

Select the Paint brush, and set it to Overlay in the Options bar.

Set the brush opacity to around 50%, and carefully paint over the faded grey residue from the last process with white.

If the dark lines become thin, paint over with black.  (I've demonstrated with her right shoulder.)

Note:  in Overlay mode, anything lighter than 50% grey will respond to being painted over with white, and anything darker than 50% grey with black.  It's a little bit of Photoshop magic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great suggestion and will, as Trevor says, get you part of the way there. To avoid this happening in the future use a non-photo-blue pencil to draw with, instead of red. It's much easier to get rid of non-photo blue in PS. How to remove blue pencils with Photoshop - YouTube

I hope this helps,

Angie Taylor | Creative Cabin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Angie! Trevor's advice worked perfectly and like you said I think non-photo blue pencil is better for other illustrations! I read something about it yesterday. Good learning 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your help! It worked amazing. Big thanks!!

Portrait.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Eeke.jpg

1. Open the file and make a rectangular selection of the girl's head down to the top of the backpack.

2. Cmd+J to place it  on a separate layer. Then, turn off the eye for that layer

3. Return to the Background layer and duplicate the layer

4. Put a transparent layer below the duplicate  layer and Fill with white.

5. Return to the duplicate of the Background layer and  choose Select > Color Range

6. Click on the red and use the plus eyedropper in Color Range to add a few red areas

7. Delete key, then Cmd+D to deselect the marching ants

8. Turn on the eye on the top layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines