15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2008 9:28 AM by Shandy Elliott

Hide TextArea scroll bar

AL Kirby
      Has anyone found a way to hide, edit, alpha the scroll bar with the TextArea component (flash CS3 - AS2)?
      I can hide the border, alpha the background, but no way to hide the scrollbar... arggg.

my example... when you click one of the buttons (bottom) you will notice the scroll bar (right) flickers then disappears and the text also shifts. I hid the border and alpha the background but need to get rid of the scrollbar.

http://dev.webadmin.ufl.edu/~akirby/dynamicFlash2/index2.html

thanx in advance
        • 1. Re: Hide TextArea scroll bar
          Flash Framer
          Give the scrollbar an instance name and then ad the actionscript to a frame:
          scrollBarInstanceName._visible = false;

Hope that helps
          • 2. Re: Hide TextArea scroll bar
            AL Kirby Level 1
            "Give the scrollbar an instance name and then ad the actionscript to a frame:"

So I am using the TextArea component... How would I give the scroll bar an instance name? Isn't the scroll bar part of the TextArea component? The TextArea has an instance name... but I don't know how to add an instance name to the scroll bar. I am not using the Scroll bar component (UIScrollBar).

Thanks so much for replying to my post.
            • 3. Re: Hide TextArea scroll bar
              Shandy Elliott Level 1
              I don't understand why you are even using the textArea component. There is not enough text to scroll (or are you going to add more text later)? Why not just use a static text field?
              • 4. Re: Hide TextArea scroll bar
                AL Kirby Level 1
                "I don't understand why you are even using the textArea component."
                I need for text (and images) to load dynamically with external files. My goal is to never have to open the flash app to maintain this "system".

"There is not enough text to scroll (or are you going to add more text later)?"
                No. what you see is the extent of the amount of text.

Why not just use a static text field?
                I'm not sure if you can load external txt files in a static text field. can you?

Thanks for your time,
                ak
                • 5. Re: Hide TextArea scroll bar
                  Shandy Elliott Level 1
                  Ok, that makes more sense. If you send me your flash file, I will show you how to do this. Any suggestions I have depend on how things are situated on the stage.
                  • 6. Re: Hide TextArea scroll bar
                    AL Kirby Level 1
                    WOW thanx for your time. An email has been sent.
                    • 7. Re: Hide TextArea scroll bar
                      Shandy Elliott Level 1
                      Is this from a template?
                      • 8. Re: Hide TextArea scroll bar
                        AL Kirby Level 1
                        Please forgive my delayed reply. I just lost a close and dear friend in a tragic accident. So back to business now.

Is this from a template?
                        I'm not sure how to answer that question. I made it. Its fully custom. I didn't download the source files from anyone. Feel free to email me if it's any easier for you. al.kirby@gmail.com

Thanks again,
                        • 9. Re: Hide TextArea scroll bar
                          Shandy Elliott Level 1
                          Sorry to hear about your friend. I do not believe this is NOT a template. All the files you sent me scream template. Plus, there is even 2 WORD documents included with instructions on how to use these files. It even comes with MAC versions of the files, so yes, this is a template. Why would you lie about that?
                          • 10. Re: Hide TextArea scroll bar
                            AL Kirby Level 1
                            Ah... I just suppose I just didn't quite understand what you meant by template. I thought you were asking if the fla was created by some third party. Yes you are right in that sense that this whole deal is a "template". I understand what you were asking now.

Why would you lie about that?
                            Wasn't intentional

Yes this system is meant to be made for other web folks around campus that don't have flash (to maintain or produce) and want a simple flash rotator on their site(s).

Thanx

• 11. Re: Hide TextArea scroll bar
                              Shandy Elliott Level 1
                              I stay away from Flash templates. They are always overly coded and hard to trace their logic. If you can tell me what you are trying to accomplish, I can make a simple document that would be easier to follow and edit.
                              • 12. Re: Hide TextArea scroll bar
                                AL Kirby Level 1
                                "If you can tell me what you are trying to accomplish..."

- Folks want flash on their home page but don't know Flash or have the app.
                                - I provide this "system" to them.
                                - They upload the files to their server
                                - They include the satay method of embedding the flash into their markup (existing web page based off of official templates provided by my office)
                                - All they need to maintain are the text files, images, and css (for styling text).
                                - No need to open/use the Flash application to maintain this system.

It works perfectly other then the scroll bar flickering and text shifting bug(s) that occurs within the TextArea Component. That's the only issue that is causing this project to be held up.

"They are always overly coded..."
                                Myself and two other Flashers have developed this system (timeline) as slim and as simple as we possibly could. I'm sure there's a better way to produce this system by using timeline actionscripting... but our skills are limited.

"hard to trace their logic."
                                Logic is... not to have to open/use the Flash app to maintain this system. Only maintain external files.

• 13. Re: Hide TextArea scroll bar
                                  Shandy Elliott Level 1
                                  I uploaded all the files to my server, but all I can see is "undefined" in all the dynamic text boxes. One thing to try is adding

TextHolder.vScrollPolicy = "off";

on the first line of AS for the movie clips of dynamic text 1, 2, and 3.
                                  • 14. Re: Hide TextArea scroll bar
                                    AL Kirby Level 1
                                    Adding TextHolder.vScrollPolicy = "off"; on the first line of AS for the movie clips of dynamic text 1, 2, and 3 doesn't work.

Thanks for trying. I appreciate you trying to solve this issue.

Al
                                    • 15. Re: Hide TextArea scroll bar
                                      Shandy Elliott Level 1
                                      Try to go into those 3 movie clips and replace the TextArea component with an empty movie clip, or even try a loader component.