• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Liquid white-space suppression not working

Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2017 Sep 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

{% liquidtag -%}  does not appear to be suppressing white-space as it should, resulting in a bunch of unwanted space characters in the rendered html.

Is this a known issue with a workaround?

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Developer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 02, 2017 Sep 02, 2017

Reported to BC that it does not seem to be working any more.

That was over a year ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2017 Sep 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reported to BC that it does not seem to be working any more.

That was over a year ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

That seems an awfully long time to fix such a major reported bug, particularly for a product that is a subscription-based SaaS where you can't easily work around such issues - i.e. if this was ASP.Net I'd simply write my own pre-render (or MVC equiv) processor to fix it.

I'm quite new to BC, because of a new job, but having spent many years as a dev in environments where I have total control, I find this sort of thing to be quite disconcerting.

Is this normal for Adobe-BC or an exception ?

MB-C9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normal, I'm afraid.

With BC you have to change your mindset. You're working in a box and you cannot manipulate that box too easily. You can work wonders within the box, but once you hit a proverbial wall, then you're at the mercy of BC engineers to make the update. Can be quick, or it can take several years.

Your mindset has to change to being able to working within the BC boundaries. Else you're gonna have a bad time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps. with the liquid white space, I end up (once code on a page is complete) moving all single lined liquid code to the root indentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But some cases if you put things that are part of a loop or if statement on same line for example BC falls over with the rendering. Especially with ASSIGN values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I agree that refactoring can help to a degree, but is still a major PITA.

I had a situation <p>...some-liquid-code-here...</p> where I ended up with 911 whitespace characters (spaces/line-feeds/tabs/etc) in front of the 50 characters the code actually generated.  I was able to refactor that to make it 900 whitespace characters (eliminating the indent tabs etc) before the <p> tag rather than inside it, but still...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's disappointing to hear.

Yes, I appreciate that I have to live within the box and make the best of it - limited and all as it is - but I do rather expect the box to work as advertised.

I know that SaaS is becoming more prevalent, and making the best use of the respective environment's constraints is part of the developer's job (e.g. SharePoint onLine vs SharePoint onPrem) but the vendor also has a responsibility when they impose such limits to address problems that only they can fix in a timely and responsive manner.

I suspect that SaaS vendors who do not provide the service expected/required will either lose their client base or face legal action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines