3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2017 8:25 AM by Warren Heaton

Will an iMac 2015 3.3 M395 work?

Video My Life

I shoot youth football with Sony HD camcorders, AVCHD 1920 x 1080, 60i.  I'm looking at, maybe, five more years of a 25 year run, and my 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 is on its last leg.  I've always made do with the old stuff; used Premiere Pro 1.5 up to 2014.  I'm looking at an open item iMac from Best Buy, and am wondering if you guys and gals think this machine will suffice for my needs:

Late 2015 iMac (Retina 5k, 27 inch) 17,1

Intel Core i5

3.3 GHz (one processor)

4 Cores

256KB L2 Cache per core

6 MB L3 Cache

16 GB  1867 MHz DDR3 (although I can spiff for 32 GB)

AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB (gee, I wish it had a GeForce card in it...I like CUDA)

I am a Creative Cloud subscriber and use PPro CC 2015, I guess because anything newer made my Mac Pro 3,1 cry (i.e. freeze up like an old man skinny dipping at the North Pole).  My old machine has 18 GB of 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel XEONs, four SSD drives, and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 with 1024 MB on board, and it handles my simple 60 minute highlight films with no problem...as long as I sing to it and not click too fast.  Or sneeze.

Do you folks think the new iMac I described above can pard up with my old looking glass camcorders and this old dodger to ride off into the sunset while rendering the AVCHD real time?  Any issues with AME and Encore CS6?  Yes, my customers are also old fogies who like DVDs.

Much appreciated.  Its been a great ride.

• 1. Re: Will an iMac 2015 3.3 M395 work?
          Warren Heaton Adobe Community Professional

Yes, the 2015 27-inch iMac that you have selected will make a good replacement for your 2008 Mac Pro.

You can pull the four SSD drives from the Mac Pro and migrate them to a Thunderbolt 2 enclosure.  The AkiTio Thunder2 Quad External 4-Bay Enclosure works well for this (B&H Photo Video).

-Warren

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Will an iMac 2015 3.3 M395 work?
            Video My Life Level 1

Thank you Warren!  I was wondering about the SSDs and now have a good option.  That is one thing I did not check; does my iMac have Thunderbolt 2 or 3, so it sounds like 2 by your account.

I love B&H; buy stuff from them all the time.  Do you recommend I set the SSDs up as RAID (I need to learn a bit more about RAID configuration)?  In my 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 I used one as MAIN, one as PROJECTS, one as PROJECTs II, and one as CACHE & EXPORTS.  The PROJECT drives house my native assets.  What would be your recommendation on setting up the drives, please?

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Will an iMac 2015 3.3 M395 work?
              Warren Heaton Adobe Community Professional

There are two Thunderbolt ports on every iMac from 2012 and up.

The 2017 models have Thunderbolt 3.

The 2015 models have Thunderbolt 2.

It sounds like your drive configuration is working for you as is.  So, I'd just leave it.  The AkiTio enclosure defaults to JBOD, so you can just pull the drives from the Mac Pro and put them into the enclosure.  Alternatively, you could boot the Mac Pro in Target Disk Mode until you decide on an enclosure.  You'll need a Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter to connect the Mac Pro to the iMac in TDM mode.  However, I think the 2008 model only sees the boot drive in TDM mode rather than all the installed drives (but, that may have been a firmware upgrade that allowed for all the drives to show up).  Also, the Mac Pro draws a lot of power to be used as just a drive enclosure.

1 person found this helpful