• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Advice on Creating Layers

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently reactivated Photoshop CS5.1 from an old purchase from 2011 and I'm looking for some beginner's advice since it's been so long since using Photoshop.

I'm working with an image that I want to separate into multiple layers, and I'm looking for advice on the most effective way to do this.

The image contains a sketch-like drawing of an umbrella laying in a puddle with some rain falling. My goal is to get the umbrella on a separate layer from the puddle and rain, but given the sketch-like nature if the image it's difficult to capture precise lines with the quick selection or magic wand tool.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we'd be able to advise you better if we could see the image, however, i'll do my best;

I'd use the Polygonal tool to cut that out, the more time you spend at this stage the better the end result, also whilst mid cutting be sure to use + & - keys on your keyboard to zoom in and out of the image, zooming in to get precise lines, zooming out to view the image as a whole.

once it's cut and selected use Ctrl+X to cut it out of the image, create a new layer (Shift+Ctrl+N) then paste the image in place (Shift+Ctrl+V)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a vector file which means you can easily separate the art with Adobe Illustrator. Everything in the file is completely, and easily editable with Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, as Theresa had said you're using the wrong tool for the job - Bring that .esp / .ai / .svg file into Illustrator and you'll easily be able to select the umbrella independently to the rest of the vector.

Provided you've actually purchased the file shown and not attempted to steal the image by right click save as because

A: it's morally wrong and B: it will save as a flat image, not a vector.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines