15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2008 3:24 PM by TallPaulInJax

Week 3, Exercise 2 - JRun??

ibmaris Level 1
      Just started this tutorial and made it to Day 3 without any problems, then stopped dead. The PDF file references an embedded JRun option when downloading LCDS, but I am not seeing that option. Also, the only download available seems different from the one described in the PDF because once I installed it using the J2EE option, I do not have the ability to start it running. It only shows an uninstall and a sample database.

Is it possible to skip over this lesson and continue with the rest of Day 3 using the existing project (one to be deleted), or am I out of luck?
        • 1. Re: Week 3, Exercise 2 - JRun??
          Level 7
          It's not the same. The instructions appear to have been done before a more
          recent version was dropped of lcds. You can find the same one tho. Put the
          version number in the Adobe search box on the main Adobe.com page .. that's
          how I found it.

That said .. there are other problems later on in Day 3 that stopped me ..
          no answers to those questions yet. This and some problems on Day 2 make me
          wonder who (if anyone) tech edited this thing.

Nancy

"ibmaris" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g7siem$rnl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Just started this tutorial and made it to Day 3 without any problems, then
          > stopped dead. The PDF file references an embedded JRun option when
          > downloading
          > LCDS, but I am not seeing that option. Also, the only download available
          > seems
          > different from the one described in the PDF because once I installed it
          > using
          > the J2EE option, I do not have the ability to start it running. It only
          > shows
          > an uninstall and a sample database.
          >
          > Is it possible to skip over this lesson and continue with the rest of Day
          > 3
          > using the existing project (one to be deleted), or am I out of luck?
          >

• 2. Re: Week 3, Exercise 2 - JRun??
            ibmaris Level 1
            Thanks for the resonse, Nancy. I tried to locate the lcds251-win as you suggested (with and without the "-win") but it must have been removed from the site. The only thing that shows up under that search is the PDF for that lesson.

I guess I'll skip over it and go on to the next to see what happens.
            • 3. Re: Week 3, Exercise 2 - JRun??
              Level 7
              here you go.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=livecycle_dataservices

You will be prompted to sign in with your Adobe ID first.

Nancy

news:g7t3bt$frq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Thanks for the resonse, Nancy. I tried to locate the lcds251-win as you
              > suggested (with and without the "-win") but it must have been removed from
              > the
              > site. The only thing that shows up under that search is the PDF for that
              > lesson.
              >
              > I guess I'll skip over it and go on to the next to see what happens.
              >

• 4. Re: Week 3, Exercise 2 - JRun??
                ibmaris Level 1
                Well, I don't know how you found it ... but I'm downloading it now. Thank you SO MUCH for your willingness to help.

Maris
                • 5. Re: Week 3, Exercise 2 - JRun??
                  Level 7
                  No problem. Ifi you get to the place with the problems I cited above and
                  figure out an answer, do let me know. :)

Nancy

news:g7ug28$2t8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Well, I don't know how you found it ... but I'm downloading it now. Thank
                  > you SO MUCH for your willingness to help.
                  >
                  > Maris

• 6. Re: Week 3, Exercise 2 - JRun??
                    Benji2008 Level 1
                    thanks Nancy :)
                    • 7. Re: Week 3, Exercise 2 - JRun??
                      dreamweaver+135bdf
                      Just had the same problem finding the right version of LCDS, thanks to Nancy for her generous help.
                      • 8. Re: Week 3, Exercise 2 - JRun??
                        cqprod
                        Thanks Nancy!
                        • 9. Re: Week 3, Exercise 2 - JRun??
                          rsadwick
                          If you're using the new version LiveCycle Data Services ES 2.6, you'll have to adjust a few things:

When you install LCDS, click the Tomcat option and continue with the installation.

Instead of unzipping to C:\lcds\jrun4\servers\default.. use this folder to unzip the server.zip file instead:

C:\lcds\tomcat\webapps\odt

Also, instead of using port 8700, the new version uses 8400.

1. Start the Server: Programs > LiveCycle Data Services ES 2.6 > Start LiveCycle Data Services Server. Allow the server to start up.

2. Point your browser to http://localhost:8400/ to test the start page.

3. Your URL for this example will be http://localhost:8400/odt/

Follow the PDF with the above modifications.

If you need to edit your Flex Project to reflect the new lcds version:

1. Right click on your Flex project > Properties

2. Select Flex Builder Path from the left outliner. At the bottom, make sure your output folder points to C:\lcds\tomcat\webapps\odt\AdobeODT

3. Select the Library Path Tab: Click the third branch (fds.swc) and then click the edit button. This should be the correct folder: C:/lcds/tomcat/webapps/odt/WEB-INF/flex/libs/fds.swc

4. Click the fourth branch ({locale}) and then click the edit button. This should be the correct folder: C:/lcds/tomcat/webapps/odt/WEB-INF/flex/locale/{locale}

5. Finally, click on the Flex Compiler item on the left outliner interface. Under Additional compiler arguments, correct the path in the -services switch which should appear similar to this:
                          -services "C:\lcds\tomcat\webapps\odt\WEB-INF\flex\services-config.xml" -locale en_US.

That should be it, make sure the server is running and compile your project and submit the form.

Regards,

Ryan

• 10. Re: Week 3, Exercise 2 - JRun??
                            leapdog

Why doesn't Adobe make the change to the tutorial files themselves instead? Learning this stuff is difficult enough without having to troubleshoot these lessons! :)

• 11. Week 3, Exercise 2 - JRun??
                              maoanz
                              Thanks Nancy! Thanks rsadwick!
                              • 12. Week 3, Exercise 2 - JRun??
                                maoanz Level 1
                                In the second exercise of day 3, point 4:
                                "unzip adobeODTServer.zip to ... "
                                Where is this file?
                                • 13. Re: Week 3, Exercise 2 - JRun??
                                  ibmaris Level 1
                                  Hi, Maoanz ...

You will find this file right under the title for the lesson. Look for (Download Server) which is a link.
                                  • 14. Re: Week 3, Exercise 2 - JRun??
                                    maoanz Level 1
                                    Thanks a lot for your quick answer!
                                    I was thinking about that, but I've just made a Ctrl+F and type AdobeODT.zip, without finding anything.
                                    So I should read carefully next time.
                                    • 15. Re: Week 3, Exercise 2 - JRun??
                                      TallPaulInJax
                                      For those installing Jrun 2.51: I had a problem where I got an error while running the example.The error was "[RPC Fault faultString="SimpleRemoteObject (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)" ". I figured out what the problem was: I was running JRE 1.6 update 6, but BY DEFAULT JRun (via 2.51) runs 1.4.2_12. My fix to the problem (and another nice very simple RemoteObject example) is posted at this link down near the bottom:
                                      http://western-skies.blogspot.com/2006/07/flex-worlds-simplest-example-of.html

Hope that helps!

Paul