6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2013 5:24 AM by Christian3D

Layer won't unlock

seanmayhew77
      I've been using Fireworks for about 7 years (Mac and PC current problem is on Mac) so there's not a lot I don't know about it although I admit I haven't spent a lot of time learning new features in CS3 but for the first time I have a layer I am unable to unlock.....It shows the lock I click to unlock and it just fades the lock. Its an un-unlockable lock. I can lock and unlock other layers no problem but this one layer is stuck. If it helps this WAS a sublayer when it was originally locked. Now it is at the root level.

I really really really do not want to delete whats in this layer but I can't get into it.
        • 1. Re: Layer won't unlock
          Level 7
          Hi, are you trying to unlock a template of some kind? I ask because
          another Fireworker had a problem with unlocking a template folder. My
          copy of FWsCS3 has just locked me out with that wretched 'Hand'
          cursor problem, so I'm going to have to do a system re boot, if that
          cures it (usually does) I'll have another look and see if I can
          fathom it out.

Peter
          on
          | Mac) so there's not a lot I don't know about it although I admit I haven't
          | spent a lot of time learning new features in CS3 but for the first time I
          have
          | a layer I am unable to unlock.....It shows the lock I click to unlock and
          it
          | just fades the lock. Its an un-unlockable lock. I can lock and unlock
          other
          | layers no problem but this one layer is stuck. If it helps this WAS a
          sublayer
          | when it was originally locked. Now it is at the root level.
          |
          | I really really really do not want to delete whats in this layer but I
          can't
          | get into it.
          |

• 2. Re: Layer won't unlock
            Level 7
            This is what worked for the other guy who had a problem with this.

1. Open up the image source file in Fireworks CS3
            2. Then look to the top right of the screen/workarea,
            3. Click on "Pages" then on layout[Master Page],
            4. Then select "layers" proceed to unlock the sections you need to work
            with.

Peter
            | another Fireworker had a problem with unlocking a template folder. My
            | copy of FWsCS3 has just locked me out with that wretched 'Hand'
            | cursor problem, so I'm going to have to do a system re boot, if that
            | cures it (usually does) I'll have another look and see if I can
            | fathom it out.
            |
            | Peter
            | ______________________
            | "seanmayhew77" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            | news:g7l18h$fi4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            || I've been using Fireworks for about 7 years (Mac and PC current problem
            is
            | on
            || Mac) so there's not a lot I don't know about it although I admit I
            haven't
            || spent a lot of time learning new features in CS3 but for the first time I
            | have
            || a layer I am unable to unlock.....It shows the lock I click to unlock and
            | it
            || just fades the lock. Its an un-unlockable lock. I can lock and unlock
            | other
            || layers no problem but this one layer is stuck. If it helps this WAS a
            | sublayer
            || when it was originally locked. Now it is at the root level.
            ||
            || I really really really do not want to delete whats in this layer but I
            | can't
            || get into it.
            ||
            |
            |

• 3. Re: Layer won't unlock
              estilan

I had this issue and saving the  file , quit FW and restarting solved the problem...

• 4. Re: Layer won't unlock
                NancySTodd

Just FYI, if anyone else has this problem. I just had this same problem with a layer in Fireworks CS5 and I tried what estilan suggested above. It worked like a charm!

• 5. Re: Layer won't unlock
                  jrdalby811

Right. This is so so so simple i cant believe it. Steps:

1. Go to your layers tab.

2. scroll up.

3. unlock ALL the layers you can

It will work; trust me, I had the same prob, (faded the lock on mine to) and this worked swell!!!

• 6. Re: Layer won't unlock
                    Christian3D

Another helpful tip... if you click the alt/option key on the lock toggle it will lock or unlock all your layers. Note though,,, sometimes your sublayers will still remain locked. Usually repeating the Alt click + lock toggle will release the sublayers as well.

*Note all things locked in the master page layer(s) have to be unlocked and edited when you are in the master page.