Muse Crashing when adding Google Maps Widget

Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 Home

Muse 2017.0

Event log:

Faulting application name: Muse.exe, version: 2017.0.0.149, time stamp: 0x58055b19

Faulting module name: MSHTML.dll, version: 11.0.15063.540, time stamp: 0x4ba5e498

Exception code: 0x80000003

Fault offset: 0x0000000000babca3

Faulting process id: 0xb880

Faulting application start time: 0x01d32b19717db06f

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Muse CC 2017\Muse.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSHTML.dll

Report Id: 988fbb78-989d-4954-b871-b12b0af1aedd

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

When I add the google map widget Muse hangs then crashes, no Adobe error message, just a windows "checking for solution" dialog.  This happens even if it is the only program running (Computer capable of running the rest of CC smoothly.  I have tried disabling Windows firewall and running as an administrator, same issue.  Let me know if any other information is required, thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Okay everyone from the future I have fixed the issue.

1. I backed up both windows\system32\MSHTML.dll and MSHTML.tlb as MSHTML.dll_bak and MSHTML.tlb_bak so the actual files are inaccessable.

a. This requires changing the ownership of system32 folder.

2. I ran cmd as admin, then used "sfc /scannow" and it found missing files and redownloaded them.

3. I restarted the computer.

Now I can use google maps.  Thanks for your help Ankush, I hope this helps someone in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried uninstalling/reinstalling with the same crash occurring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Inkwell Graphix,

We didn't come across such kind of issue previously.

However, I see this as a window's issue more than an application issue.

We can although try some trial and error methods to see if the issue gets resolved.

It might also happen because of preferences.

Please try the following steps see if any of them works.

Solution 1: Reset Preferences

• Make sure Adobe Muse is not open.

For Windows:

• Go to the following path in Windows Explorer C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Muse CC 2017\Muse.exe
  • Rename the file Muse.exe "Muse.exe_old"

Replace mshtml.dll file:

• Download the file from here - Adobe Creative Cloud.
  • Please replace that from the existing mshtml.dll file on your system in the path mentioned above as (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSHTML.dll)

Now try to launch Muse and check if it works.

Regards,

Ankush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I replaced the mshtml.dll file with the one provided (required altering the system32 folder permissions in case someone comes here in the future looking for an answer.)  After changing the extension for Muse.exe  I could not launch the program either from the shortcut (broken link) or from the Creative Cloud launcher.  I changed the extension back to Muse.exe and ran the program from the CC launcher and when placing the google maps widget I received this error:

• Muse.exe - Ordinal Not Found
    • The ordinal 527 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSHTML.dll.

After hitting "OK" the window closes and Muse crashes.

I also attempted to uninstall and reinstall without keeping user preferences with the new MSHTML.dll and it had the same hang and crash as my original problem.

Thank you for your help so far I hope you can help me out, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry that it didn't work, can you please think of any last action performed by after which this crash is triggered, maybe  any update or plugin install.

And I am not sure weather it is relevant can you please open Google chrome and make sure that your are logged into your google account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use muse too often, and this is the first time since maybe 2015 that I've tried to embed a google map, and that time I used the html object insert to do so.  I am logged into my google account.  Someone somewhere mentioned updating internet explorer as a way to update mshtml, I will try that.

I do often run into issues with uBlock Origin on websites, although never before with a program.  Should I try whitelisting some URLs on that?  (Edit, tried disabling the extension, but crash occurred again.)

Edit 2: Tried following the steps here to update and replace the MSHTML.dll file, restarted computer, same hang-crash.  Hmmm.  I will keep troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again, I have tried a few other things (updating flash, etc) and was wondering if you had any other thoughts, or if this is a Windows problem where I should direct my question, thanks!

Edit: Unsurprisingly Microsoft support believes this is an application issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it only the Google Map widget which is causing crash?

Have you tried all the other widget and tell if anyone of them also triggering the crash?

Just to remove any confusion with the current version, can you please download a pre-release build of Muse from here - Help the Muse team test new responsive features - Join Prerelease​ and let me know if it works.

Thanks,

Ankush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just tried the other social widgets and they do not cause a crash.  I will download the prerelease tonight and report back tomorrow, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay everyone from the future I have fixed the issue.

1. I backed up both windows\system32\MSHTML.dll and MSHTML.tlb as MSHTML.dll_bak and MSHTML.tlb_bak so the actual files are inaccessable.

a. This requires changing the ownership of system32 folder.

2. I ran cmd as admin, then used "sfc /scannow" and it found missing files and redownloaded them.

3. I restarted the computer.

Now I can use google maps.  Thanks for your help Ankush, I hope this helps someone in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines