• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CFBuilder Future

Advocate ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a discussion in the ColdFusion forum that has a CFBuilder thread: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2342940

I'll try cutting and pasting the relevant info here:

raksh naresh, I decided to force myself to use CFBuilder more to be able to provide you with additional feedback. A few things I did not realize CFBuilder did I found I like, but I still have quite a few issues. In no particular order:

1. Global searching within a project is a pain starting with the fact that you can only expand one module at a time. It finds all the occurrences but I have not found a way to scan through all the hits for a specific pattern I'm looking for - I have to expand one module at a time just to see the match.
  2. The parenthesis and bracket helpers are great for typing code from scratch, but in my work I do quite a bit of cut & paste and adding a parenthesis to existing blocks is more keystrokes than the one-character the helper is saving.
  3. Same for single and double quotes.
  4. Selecting a block to indent or outdent, while it works, for some unknown reason is VERY slow. Sometime up to 10 seconds for a small block. This seems a little faster working with cfscript or javascript code, but tag format, V E R Y   S L O W!
  5. Most CF tag helpers seem to work fine but most CF function helpers don't seem to exist.
  6. I'm not a fan of the open module persistence. Not a big deal but forcing me to close modules from days past seems annoying.
  7. Somewhere I thought I found a code formatter, but all it seemed to do was remove blank lines. The Commands>Apply Source Code Formatting options of DW were much better.
  8. As mentioned before, the javascript helpers are not as nearly refined as DW.
  9. CSS coding, like JS coding, does not feel as refined as DW. Helpers are present but seem very finicky making the helper disappear to all but never return or "help" insert something I did not want.

That's all I have off the top of my head for now. #1 & #8 above force me to use DW the most. Hope this helps.

---

raksh naresh, Another update on CFBuilder...

By far, #1-3, and 5 on my prior list or issues with CFBuilder are my biggest peeves. With #1, global searching is basically useless in CFBuilder and I automatically open DreamWeaver CS5 for any searching. Assuming you can put focus on just the right objects to do a global search within a project, only being able to open a single hit at a time when making multiple edits is a real pain. Then re-searching but with completely different results (usually no results) because the object focus was not just right usually send me over the edge and my coworkers get a shower of colorful explicatives with Adobe as the focus point.

With #2 & 3, I find myself spending more time fighting with the editor than actually editing when updating existing code.

With #5, only the single level of tag auto-close seems to work. Example, typing: "<cfif ...><cflock ...>..</cflock></" - the </cflock> will automatically fill, but </cfif> will not. Then to make things really annoying, when <cflock> does close, it places the cursor just before the final > so if you are not watching the screen, this will be the result: "<cfif ...><cflock ...>..</cflock</cfif>>" or "<cfif ...><cflock ...>..</cflock</>>" if you thought auto-complete was going to help.

Please feel free to pass this along to your CFBuilder peeps. My recommendation if you are going to continue down the CFBuilder path, steal someone from the DW staff and incorporate his/her knowledge into the CFB editor usability design.

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for taking the time to report your feedback on this thread.

We will see how we can address the pain points you have reported while we are working on the next version of ColdFusion Builder. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation