1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 12, 2017 1:21 AM by D Fosse

Photoshop and colorimeter settings

itushy

Hello,

I've calibrated my screen (Dell wa2209) using the x-rite colormunki display & Displaycal. Windows (7) is using the ICC profile that the calibration generated as the default one. however, regarding photoshop:

1. I'm wondering if I need to do anything in photoshop itself? Do I need to go to 'color settings - RGB' and choose the new profile instead of sRGB or RGB?

2. For files that I open from Camera RAW or just JPEG's, In 'color management policies' do I need to choose 'preserve embedded profile' or 'convert to working RGB'?

3. My screen is sRGB, so in Camera RAW does it matter if in the 'workflow options' I choose sRGB or RGB?

I don't print my photos, and everything is for digital use (computer, web, samartphones etc).

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Photoshop and colorimeter settings
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1. No. Photoshop's color settings deal with document profiles and policies for handling them. The monitor profile is something else entirely. Don't confuse the two! The application loads the monitor profile from the OS, no user intervention.

This is a standard profile conversion from document profile to monitor profile, performed on the fly, as you work. You need both, one profile alone makes no sense. If the two are the same, no color management happens (null transform), and the display color management chain is effectively disabled.

2. Always use "preserve embedded profiles". This ensures correct handling in every situation. "Convert to working" may irreversibly clip color channels, discarding data that you will never get back. This can obviously happen in any profile conversion, which is why it's important to keep a hand on the steering wheel and not let it happen wholesale.

3. You want to avoid premature clipping. This is why you use larger color spaces like Adobe RGB or ProPhoto. It gives you editing headroom. You'll have to squeeze the data into an output color space eventually, but you want to have control over the process so that you don't lose data unnecessarily.

1 person found this helpful