• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Comment Icon is there but comment is empty

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having issues with PDF comments. The icon for the comment is on the pdf, but when you hover over it or go to comments it acts as if the comments do not exist. Haven't been able to find a fix for this. It is happening to new pdfs as well as pdfs dating back months ago (that were previously working just fine until recently). This poses an issue (especially with the older pdfs) as these pdfs get regularly audited and the comments contained a reason for performing certain tasks that get audited. Without these comments there is no explanation for the auditors as to why something was done. Anyone come across a way to get the comments to show up normal? None of these PDF's were altered so I'm not sure what happened.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevinh,

As per the issue description mentioned above, comment icon is visible in the pdf but when hovering over the icon, its empty, correct me if this is not what you are referring to.

Could you let us know the application you are using to open pdf- Adobe Reader/ Adobe Acrobat?

And, the version of the application installed on the machine: Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Which operating system you have on the machine- Mac/Windows?

The option are you selecting under Comment?

Below is the screenshot of the tools available under Comment:

Thanks,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Yes you can see the little icon, but when you hover over it, it's as if the icon isn't actually there as there is no comment. If you go to the comments sections, there are no comments listed. It's as if the comment disappeared and just left the icon behind.

We are using Adobe Reader XI Ver 11.0.22

Windows 7 Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the details with us.

Please try repairing Reader by clicking "Repair Installation" under Help menu. Reboot the machine after repair and try again.

-Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shivam,

The problem is that any computer (the one that originally created the comment or another computer trying to view the comment) can't see the actual comments.  We only see the comment icon.  Daily we create PDFs and add comments...suddenly (a month or two ago) access to details of the comments is not possible (possible a version update to adobe reader is the culprit?).  The PDF itself is fine, the comment icon is there, just can't view the comments.  We all have the same version of reader, and on my PC I also have Acrobat and can't see the contents of the comments either.

Repair installing doesn't seem like the solution since all the computers can't read the comment.  I'm not going to repair install over 100 workstations.  We keep up with the adobe updates, so the day there's an available update, we install it.  We are always current.

Thanks, Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

Would it be possible if you can share one of the pdf files with us? You may create the link for the file using Adobe's Send and Track.

(1) Visit this link: https://cloud.acrobat.com/send

(2) Click  Add files > choose files from my computer

(3) Select the file > create link. You can copy paste the link here in the forums or share it via private message. To send a private message, hover your mouse over the person's username and click Message.

Thanks,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shivam,

I sent you a private message with a link to 2 test PDF's that I created. The first is a PDF with the comment, the second is the PDF where the comment disappears. I noticed that the QC person that leaves these comments also adds her initials. I tested by adding a signature and initials and then saved it. Upon opening the signed PDF I noticed the comment disappeared. It seems that when you add a signature or initials, the comment is erased but the icon remains.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adorobat,

Was this ever resolved?  I am having the exact same problem and have been looking online for a solution for over an hour with no luck.

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Adobe Acrobat DC 23V we are also facing same issue. Commets are added in the PD File. After closing and reopening the file the comments icons are visible but the comments are not showing. it's showing no comments yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Peter M34724861bq3j

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that

Is this an issue with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs? Please try with a different PDF file and check. If the file is stored on a shared network/drive please download it to your computer locally and then try again.

What is the version of the Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 23.08.20458 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also make sure that the comments are not hidden as described in the help page https://adobe.ly/48wASYW

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue with particular file only. This is the version 23.08.20458 installed 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally it's not for the particular file. We are facing the issue for all the PDF Files. if the users adds any comments to pdf and saves,the comments are disappears after closing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

Would you mind sharing a small video recording of the steps you are doing and the issue? Also collect the Adobe CC logs https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html  , Procmon logs (Win Only) https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/acromonitor.html  and share them via any cloud storage. Just upload the log file to the cloud and generate the link and share that link with us for further investigation.

Regards
Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem. Nay update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2019 Mar 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing this still wasn't fixed?? I'm having the same issues where clients are sending across markups in PDF's and i'm getting 1 or 2 empty comments out of every 10. The comments are visible on their computer but somehow get lost when sent to me? I'm using Adobe Acrobat DC with my creative cloud subscription. But they have an older version of Adobe Reader. Is there a possibility there is a issue opening files between old software and new ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also struggling with this issue as well. It's about 1/5 comments. It's also not just an adobe issue as I'm receiving the file this way. I tried in preview mode on mac and that didn't help either. Any success? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here-kinda infuriating , any resolution on this. We're using CC Acrobat DC with a subscription

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines