• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import Transcriptions as Markers into Premiere Pro

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've been working in documentary filmmaking for a while and I've always wanted to be able to do text-based search of my interviews inside Premiere Pro. I transcribe my interviews using Inqscribe and would like to import them as markers into Premiere Pro. I recently asked the Adobe Support service and I was told that that couldn't be done.

After a few days doing some frustrating research, I've come up with a method that finally meets my demands. I share it here for those who might find it helpful. Also, I encourage developers at Adobe and outside to build a tool that simplifies this tedious process.

1. Transcribe the interview using Inqscribe. Export the transcript as a tab-delimited text. You can select also to export out points, duration and speaker names. Up to you.

2. Open the file in Text Edit, select all, and copy.

3. Open a blank workbook in Excel and paste it. You shold see the values correctly separated by columns. Since Inqscribe uses a dot (.) to separate seconds and frames, you need to change it into a colon (:). To do that, just select the whole column or columns that include timecode values, click Edit/Find/Replace and replace the dots (.) for colons (:).

4. Open a Google Drive Spreadsheet with the following columns: Name, Type, Marker Name, Comment, Start, Duration, Color.

Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 10.46.20.png

Paste the excel columns (Transcription text and Start timecode). You can also paste, if you exported from Inqscribe, the Speaker Name and duration of every mark you want to create. The Name, Type and Color columns wil remain blank. Fill them with the desired names (I copy/paset the ones in row 2). Also, you can copy the 00:00:00:00 Duration to the whole Duration column.

Once done, download the file as a Tab-separated value (.tsv)

5. In premiere, export the sequence of your interview media as a Final Cut Pro XML

6. Use Marker Import to merge the .tsv with the XML file (you can free download this app from here, at the bottom of the page: Cut Notes - Digital Rebellion

7. Open your .tsv file in Marker Import. Then select the XML you just exported from Premiere and click Import Markers.

Note: if Marker Import doesn't let you open the .tsv file, just change its extension to .txt

8. Import the XML file back to premiere. And that's it.

Please, if you have any questions or you know of a simpler way to do this, please let me know.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this.  I was looking for a way to get Vimeo comments from the csv into Premiere and this was a great source of information.  There is still a lot of manual rearranging in excel but if I get something more automated for Vimeo I'll share. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

We have built a tool to simplify this process. Happy Scribe enables you to automatically generate transcripts by using Voice Recognition technology. It's available in more than 119 languages.

Once your transcript is done, you can export it for Markers by exporting an XML file or for Subtitles by exporting an SRT or STL file.

Get in touch if you have suggestions on how we could make it better,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Eric B,

This is a super useful post - thank you for taking the time to make it.  I'm a doc editor and have been meaning to figure out how to do this for a long time. 

Has your workflow changed since?  I'm stuck at step 5 - I'm not sure where "marker import" is - in Premiere?  The current, non-free version of Cut Notes doesn't seem to have the same funcationality? 

Your help is much appreciated!

Graham 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thankfully they are finally working on major improvements to the captions/subtitles process in PrPro.

So in the Beta tab of the Creative Cloud desktop app, find the Premiere Pro public beta. Install it ... it's fine to have that alongside the public working releases.

In that are some great new changes, and the place to push for additions to the new processes (and they still need some!) is on the Public Beta forum ... and I do suggest going over there and looking through their posts on the changes going on.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines