• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch Rename to Lightroom Catalog Workflow?

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if anyone out there has a workflow where you get rid of your junk photos/videos through bridge, batch rename your files for organization (also in bridge) and then import them into Lightroom? I use Lightroom and not camera raw because I have vsco film pack presets that I like to use on my photos. Does anyone have a similar workflow like this that is better than how I'm doing it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

will LR remember and link

An emphatic- No.!  Lightroom will have lost its links with all files that have a name change using Adobe Bridge.

When files have been imported to the Lightroom Catalog, do NOT use any other program to rename files.(Rule 1)

You can though rename with Bridge BEFORE you import NEW files to Lightroom.

If you re-import any renamed files they do not have any editing changes or history.

This is a major problem for many when they rename 'outside' of Lightroom. To correct the Lr-Cata

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workflow-

1. Import everything to Lightroom

2. Reject flag the files I want to delete. (In Grid view use 'auto advance' , press X to reject or Right arrow to move to next )

3. Delete all rejected files  [PC- Ctrl+Backspace]  [Mac-  Cmd+Delete]

4.Batch Rename  [F2   Function key 2 ]

Bridge never gets a 'look in' and I do not need multiple programs working.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you do the batch renaming can depend on how you need to rename. If you can meet all your renaming requirements using the token-based renaming in Lightroom, you can rename after the photos are added to Lightroom. But if you need to rename using search and replace on filenames, you must do it in Bridge before you import to Lightroom. Lightroom does not have the String Substitution rename option that Bridge has, and changing the filenames outside of Lightroom will break all the path references in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a question ,
i started to rate the pictures to sort the best ones in LR and then i realized to rename all my RAW files in Adobe Bridge. By doing so, i start to batch rename will LR remember and link the metadata changes i.e the Editing changes to each photo or will it discard the changes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

will LR remember and link

An emphatic- No.!  Lightroom will have lost its links with all files that have a name change using Adobe Bridge.

When files have been imported to the Lightroom Catalog, do NOT use any other program to rename files.(Rule 1)

You can though rename with Bridge BEFORE you import NEW files to Lightroom.

If you re-import any renamed files they do not have any editing changes or history.

This is a major problem for many when they rename 'outside' of Lightroom. To correct the Lr-Catalog can be difficult and can often only be done by restoring photos from a backup that have not been renamed, or you have to change all the names back to 'original' (Can you remember what they were???)

It's like this-  If Bill Brown changes his name to Fred Smith, you will never find him in an old telephone book.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines