5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2017 7:18 AM by kated16764754

Color Shift Between Indd and Press Quality PDF

kated16764754

Hi there.

Struggling, struggling struggling with a color shift between indd and my press quality pdf . . . sigh.

I suspect I have an image that is the root of the issue and would like to confirm I am not messing up how I am placing images in a psd file.

When you place a jpg into a PSD file, is it best practices to then embed the placed/linked jpg or rasterize the individual layer?

My image that I suspect is causing the color shift has a bunch of thumbnail images (all from jpgs and placed in the psd file). Please check out my layers — some layers are rasterized and some are still linked to the placed file. Also most – but not all – of my layers have a mask. Could these inconsistencies in the psd file cause a color shift when the image is used in indd, even though I am flattening the psd file, saving it as a CYMK tif before placing the tif in my CYMK indd file?

Layers:

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 8.29.21 AM.png

Thank you for any insights!!!

Kate

• 1. Re: Color Shift Between Indd and Press Quality PDF
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Your considerations regarding Smart Objects and Layer Masks are meaningless when you flatten and convert before placing in Indesign anyway.

Does the CMYK image look as expected in Photoshop?

What are the Colour Settings in Photoshop and Indesign?

What are the Colour Spaces of the CMYK image file and the Indesign File?

Why have you not posted screenshots to illustrate the colour shift between indd and pdf?

Why »Press Quality« and not one one the pertinent PDF/X standards?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Color Shift Between Indd and Press Quality PDF
            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you can, it is always vastly preferable to keep all images RGB, and place that in ID. I would also embed smart objects in the master file, just to keep all the ducks in one row.

CMYK images must be in the same CMYK color profile as the ID working CMYK! This is important!!

The reason for this is that ID's CMYK policies by default are set to "preserve numbers" which is basically the same as "assign profile" in Photoshop (as opposed to "convert to profile"). There are extremely good reasons for this when you're working with CMYK graphics, such as keeping K-only from being converted to 4 color, and also to avoid exceeding max ink limit.

But the downside for images is that going from one CMYK profile to another will cause a color shift, when the numbers are not converted.

In short, be extremely careful that all color profiles are consistent throughout.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Color Shift Between Indd and Press Quality PDF
              D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Oh, and one more thing re CMYK profiles: you must ask the printer which CMYK profile they want. This has to be the one that corresponds to the actual press/paper. You don't want to convert from one CMYK to another, it may cause all kinds of trouble on press.

• 4. Re: Color Shift Between Indd and Press Quality PDF
                Derek Cross Level 6

What is the final output – is it for printing say via your desk-top inkjet printer, a photo lab or a commercial litho printer?

• 5. Re: Color Shift Between Indd and Press Quality PDF
                  kated16764754 Level 1

Thank you both D Fosse and c.pfaffenbichler. Tail between my legs, lots to learn still — but I am following both of you.