5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2017 1:26 AM by Jacob Bugge

Pixels go off artboard in Pixel Preview

jmadsen2

I have a logo I'm working on...

When exported as a png and incorporated into project, there's a razor thin cropping along the bottom edge of the logo.

In the original file, I had "Fit Artwork to Bounds." When I go into View/Pixel Preview, suddenly you can see the pixels extend beyond the artboard.

As a fix, I extend that bottom artboard border a few pixel to compensate. This is very tedious for all of the iterations of the logo I need to generate.

Is there a fix so "Fit Artwork to Bounds" will work so I don't need to keep doing my little fix?

• 1. Re: Pixels go off artboard in Pixel Preview
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

j,

As I (mis)understand it, I believe the issue may be caused by your having the outer bounds (you can see that with Use Preview Bounds ticked in the general preferences) of the artwork extend past whole pixel values. They should be contained within.

• 2. Re: Pixels go off artboard in Pixel Preview
            jmadsen2 Level 1

I ticked "Use Preview Bounds" and it didn't seem to make a difference.

I've uploaded four screenshots.

1. I start using Object/Artboards/Fit to Artwork Bounds. The logo artwork looks good.

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 4.53.15 PM.png

2. I select View/Pixel Preview. As you can see, the pixels are now outside the bounds of the artboard. When I save as a PNG and place into a project, the logo then has a razor line crop across the bottom.

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 4.53.30 PM.png

3. To resolve, I extend the bottom border of the artboard.

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 4.53.44 PM.png

4. I deselect View/Pixel Preview. This is what I'm trying avoid having to do with every logo iteration.

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 4.53.52 PM.png

• 3. Re: Pixels go off artboard in Pixel Preview
              Monika Gause Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The artboard (and the artwork) needs to be aligned to the pixel grid.

And then when exporting "Use Artboards"

2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Pixels go off artboard in Pixel Preview
                jmadsen2 Level 1

Thank you. I think the big key was checking "Use Artboards" on the export.

• 5. Re: Pixels go off artboard in Pixel Preview
                  Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

j,

When you Use Preview Bounds it will make no difference to the appearance of the artwork, but you can use it to determine whether the artwork is contained within whole pixels as it should, as I said in the first post.

I believe that if you Use Preview Bounds and tick one of the bottommost reference points in the Transform palette and select the  blue object, you will find a decimal/non whole Y value, corresponding to the fact that the bottom of the rounded part shown in 1 in the original set of images extends past whole pixel value of the Artboard border.

This means that if you Use Artboards on the Export without correcting the artwork, you are actually cropping off a bit of the rounding, giving it a flat bottom, which I consider a fundamental flaw, however little the flattening may be.

Aligning the artwork to the pixel grid has its limitations and may lead to changes in the artwork beyond your control (and maybe without your noticing it).

Therefore I believe the sound way is to correct the actual (raw) artwork to fit within whole pixels in exactly the way you want it, which Use Preview Bounds can help you with.

It may just be a slight move upwards in this case (depending on the unseen parts), in which case they would be no reason to change (or you may say slightly destroy) the artwork.