3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2008 8:05 PM by EngHarley

Flex in a Week - You're kidding right

marc_cf_florida
      I realize that these are just beginner videos to help get a person started in Flex but they seem like they were made by someone who has opened up Flex Builder for the first time and is just chatting about obvious common tools and doesn't really talk about anything of substance. She could be talking about creating a word document or a html editor and the substance wouldn't be any different. I get the feeling she doesn't have a clue about Flex itself, she just grabs items that are pretty obvious as to their purpose and does random demonstrations of items not really unique to Flex itself. For instance, creating a label on a page, changing the font family...ewwww, and wow, change the font color, another ewww. It just seems kind of silly to me and of no Flex education value at all. I guess the main proof is that all of the 'advanced' topics are 'coming soon'.
        • 1. Re: Flex in a Week - You're kidding right
          Level 7
          Sounds to me like you're still in the first day and at the beginning of
          that, to boot. I'm midway through Day 2 and have spent about 5 hours total
          so far. I have both kinds of comments, but it surely does go beyond obvious
          common tools so do keep watching and in particular, work through the
          exercises in the pdfs that accompany.

--
          Nancy Gill
          Adobe Community Expert
          Author: Dreamweaver 8 e-book for the DMX Zone
          Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Instant Troubleshooter (August, 2003)
          Technical Editor: Dreamweaver CS3: The Missing Manual,
          DMX 2004: The Complete Reference, DMX 2004: A Beginner's Guide
          Mastering Macromedia Contribute
          Technical Reviewer: Dynamic Dreamweaver MX/DMX: Advanced PHP Web Development

"marc_cf_florida" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g6q9n3$ce5$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I realize that these are just beginner videos to help get a person started
          >in
          > Flex but they seem like they were made by someone who has opened up Flex
          > Builder for the first time and is just chatting about obvious common tools
          > and
          > doesn't really talk about anything of substance. She could be talking
          > about
          > creating a word document or a html editor and the substance wouldn't be
          > any
          > different. I get the feeling she doesn't have a clue about Flex itself,
          > she
          > just grabs items that are pretty obvious as to their purpose and does
          > random
          > demonstrations of items not really unique to Flex itself. For instance,
          > creating a label on a page, changing the font family...ewwww, and wow,
          > change
          > the font color, another ewww. It just seems kind of silly to me and of no
          > Flex
          > education value at all. I guess the main proof is that all of the
          > 'advanced'
          > topics are 'coming soon'.
          >

• 2. Re: Flex in a Week - You're kidding right
            FlyingC
            I think these videos and exercises are great. Does anyone know when the rest of the "coming soon" ones might be available?
            • 3. Re: Flex in a Week - You're kidding right
              EngHarley
              Hello Nancy,

These videos are great to people exploring Flex for the first time, like me.

Well, now back to business...I've been following the videos and excercises step by step; everything was working great until Excercise 2.3 in the Step 40 (Use the custom event class)

In this step I'm supposed to locate the clickHandler function, but we never added to the code of this function before, right?

What I need to now is where to put this function...I tried to add it in the Script with the rest of the functions but it seems to be something wrong, it gives me some errors in the statement

var optionSelectEvent:OptionSelectEvent = new OptionSelectEvent("optionSelected",selection);
              dispatchEvent(optionSelectEvent);

Could you post or upload the code of the files in order to compare and locate the errors more easly??

Thanks a lot, again, great tutorial.

Regards,
              Sergio