4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2017 1:04 AM by D Fosse

Image adjustment

eunnybae

I am using Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 and an image in gray scale and 8 bit/channel.

Question 1) I am trying to work on "levels" under image adjustments. Even though I do see changes on image as preview, the changes are gone once I hit OK button. What do I do to see the changes on the image?

Question 2) If I add a level as a layer, I do see the changes in image. However, once the image is saved as tiff and the saved image is opened using a different program such as ImageJ, the changes are not seen. How can I have changes seen in such a case?

• 1. Re: Image adjustment
          Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you show some screen shots? I'm not seeing this happen.

• 2. Re: Image adjustment
            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You must view at 100% for a reliable preview of adjustments.The adjustment effect you're seeing in the preview is an artifact, not real.

For performance reasons, adjustment previews are calculated based on the on-screen image. At other zoom ratios than 100%, this is a scaled/resampled and therefore softened version. This introduces mid-tone values where none are in the original.

Halftone screens, or black and white line art, will show this very dramatically. But also very noisy images, like a starry night sky.

Consider this:

screen.png

• 3. Re: Image adjustment
              Theresa J Adobe Community Professional

It is pretty difficult to know what is happening with your first question. If you can share a screen capture of the image and the levels settings we might be able to help.

For question #2, it's possible that the other program you are using can't read the layers, and non destructive edits of a levels adjustment layer as you are describing. What is the 'other' program you are viewing the file with?

• 4. Re: Image adjustment
                D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

With Levels "not taking", it's always about not viewing at 100%. Wait and see 

1 person found this helpful