3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2017 1:16 PM by Lupillo Arellano

Jump up into the air

aforetaste Level 1

I have a character that I need to be able to jump up into the air.

The problems I'm seeing is that I have two fixed points on the ends of the feet in order to keep them grounded when the head is moving. But at some point, I would like to add a dragger, maybe near the bellybutton, to simulate them jumping.

For now, I don't need the pre-movement, knee-bending, just a simple moving the character up and down.

Any thoughts on how to do this?

Thanks in advance,

• 1. Re: Jump up into the air
          oksamurai Employee Moderator

Hmmm. I'd probably do some kind of triggered character swap - a standing body and a jump body, where the standing one has the fixed legs and the jumping one is a totally draggable character (draggable added to the top level puppet like I do here: https://youtu.be/ja7bVr4kHCU?t=8m47s ). I think that would work at least!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Jump up into the air
            aforetaste Level 1

Wow, I'm humbled and honored to receive a response from you, Dave.

And one that works! Great idea.

Many thanks for the answer, your time, and a great piece of software!

• 3. Re: Jump up into the air
              Lupillo Arellano Level 1

I've gotten around the need to add fixed points on the feet to keep the puppet "grounded"...

My puppets have two fixed points on the torso area, at about where the belly button would be (two fixed points on the sides of the puppet, where the "love handle" areas would be). This allows the puppet to still have a slight movement to the upper body (while following the camera actions) and at the same time keeping the legs/feet planted firmly on the ground. In this way I can arrange the legs/feet with draggers into any shapes I want (for example, a "Michael Jordan" jump into the air). Once I have the recording done as I need it, I then import it into After Affects where I have the puppet move around the screen as needed (to simulate the jumping).

Character Animator is used for making the recordings of what would happen in your animation... like an actor on a green screen. Then, in AE you create the actual movement like when an actor on screen jumps into the air to fly- he or she isn't actually jumping, but the jumping/flying is done through AE special effects.