2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2008 11:55 AM by Newsgroup_User

App made with Director runs slower and slower

65Cobra
      Testing our nearly completed game, we are finding that on systems with 1GB memory, the game will run smoothly at first but after playing the game 4-5 times, it really slows down frame rate wise. Systems with 2GB seem to be fine.

So. it seems it is running out of memory.

Basically, the player can choose a song they want to sing and a 3D venue they want to perform at. They can also record their performance so there is a lot going on. Playing mp3, recording audio, running 3d window, managing 2d sprites, real-time pitch analysis, etc... Even if the player chooses to "try again" which allows them to keep singing same song, same venue, etc... the game slows down.

I did a bit of research and it appears Director does memory management itself and frees up cast members automatically when running low on memory.

If the system has enough memory to play the game smoothly at first, and Director frees up members when low on memory, what else can I do to help resolve this problem?

Thank you!
        • 1. Re: App made with Director runs slower and slower
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant
          If you're working in Windows, then you can use the memory inspector to see where the memory is changing.
          • 2. Re: App made with Director runs slower and slower
            Level 7
            You might look for strategic locations to place the "unload" function.
            Such as not while its playing music or video.

65Cobra wrote:
            > Testing our nearly completed game, we are finding that on systems with 1GB
            > memory, the game will run smoothly at first but after playing the game 4-5
            > times, it really slows down frame rate wise. Systems with 2GB seem to be fine.
            >
            > So. it seems it is running out of memory.
            >
            > Basically, the player can choose a song they want to sing and a 3D venue they
            > want to perform at. They can also record their performance so there is a lot
            > going on. Playing mp3, recording audio, running 3d window, managing 2d
            > sprites, real-time pitch analysis, etc... Even if the player chooses to "try
            > again" which allows them to keep singing same song, same venue, etc... the game
            > slows down.
            >
            > I did a bit of research and it appears Director does memory management itself
            > and frees up cast members automatically when running low on memory.
            >
            > If the system has enough memory to play the game smoothly at first, and
            > Director frees up members when low on memory, what else can I do to help
            > resolve this problem?
            >
            > Thank you!
            >
            >