4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2017 1:58 PM by JJMack

Edit a Raw file smart object as part of an action

assafbezalel

Any Photoshop masters here can tell me if there is a way to edit a Raw Smart Object (SO) inside ACR as part of an action?

Photoshop won't remember the preset applied in ACR to the SO, action records as "Edit Content" but not the settings.
      This result in a useless action since you have to manually click on the preset inside ACR while the action runs.

Rasterize the SO won't cut it since than Camera Raw filter is not working on a RAW image.
      Lightroom is not an option for my specific workflow please don't mention Lightroom.
      thanks

• 1. Re: Edit a Raw file smart object as part of an action
          Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As far as i know, there isn't a way to do that. ACR is not work with actions or scripts, so whatever is done in it, can't be recorded. I think the best you can do is set up some presets to apply to your images.

• 2. Re: Edit a Raw file smart object as part of an action
            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

assafbezalel  wrote

Photoshop won't remember the preset applied in ACR to the SO, action records as "Edit Content" but not the settings.
            This result in a useless action since you have to manually click on the preset inside ACR while the action runs.

Photoshop does not records setting into Action step.  Plug-ins and filters do that if they supports actions.  Not All plug-ins support Actions. If you look at Adobe Photoshop Plug-in Fit Image you will see it is the Fit Image Plug-in script that records the setting you used in the scripts dialog when you were recording you action that used Fit Image. If you expand the Fit Image actions step you will see the setting in the step that script recorded. The one you used recording the step.  So the ACR Plug-in does not record the settings into the action.  Settings are only recorded  into the smart objects object.  When you Edit the contents ACR will read the settings you set when you edited the object and set them into its dialog so you can edits and readjust the setting you laye made.  This is what opening as smart object is all about.  Th layer's object is opened by the associated program so you can work one the temp work document opened when Photoshop opens the temp file Photoshop created for the layer's object . You do not work on the document  that you played the action on even.  How would Photoshop even know what you do in ACR or AI even if Photoshop open the work file what do you want Photoshop to do. It could nor record an action for all things you do in Photoshop can bot be recorded,.  So Opening a Smart object  will always be  an interactive process unless the object is a Photoshop object and you script the processing of the opened object.

• 3. Re: Edit a Raw file smart object as part of an action
              assafbezalel Level 1

Thank you both for replying.

Of course I have preset inside ACR that is not the problem.

Part of my workflow (delighting hundreds of images for Photogrammetry use) is;

duplicating (smart object via copy) the smart object (Raw image opened from ACR as smart object)

than boost the exposure inside ACR (with a ready made preset) and than, using Luminosity masks
              I essentially remove the shadows from the image. so ACR presets has nothing to do with my problem.

I get that it's not possible now, but to be honest,

you say things like "how would you like Photoshop to remember your action if it's not on the same document?" well,
              it's not working because it's not programmed to work like that which is an oversight of the programmers
              not because it's not possible.

Technically there should be no problem to do so if the Photoshop devs would like to add that.
              I am using Photoshop for about 15 years and Lately I am very disappointed with performance and updates.

Photoshop is really stagnating. I guess that is what happens when one becomes a monopoly :/

FIY I have been told Affinity can do this with ease.

• 4. Re: Edit a Raw file smart object as part of an action
                JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Affinity does not have scripting and I do not know  what kind if action and batch actions you can record in affinity.

If affinity has Smart Object layers like Photoshop  and you can duplicate them via copy and create independent smart objects like Photoshop. If RAW development is programmed into Affinity.  Affinity action recorder may be able record a list of adjustments and local edits for a smart object layer.  The problem I have with your story is.  I find it had to believe that these recorded settings and edits would be approbate for other document the Smart Object layer has different RAW file object then the RAW file object you recorded the action with. The image content is different.

Honestly I can not believe these fixed conversion and edits would be good for all RAW images or even a group of RAW Files.

In Photoshop is not all smart object in Photoshop are RAW files some are other file type the Photoshop does not support well but the Adobe products do.  ACR does not open all Smart Objects. ACR is also an independent Pnug-in and Filter used  by Photoshop and other Adobe application.   It main function is to convert RAW data into RGB image.  While it does have some auto adjust options and lens and camera profiles these are not way you want.   ACR also does not have automation support where you can retrieve information about the images raw data so you could make some logical adjustment via a script of some find.  I do not believe you are magical and can record settings and edits many raw images. So you can have multiple conversion of an image that you can blend them together and do better than can be done with a single conversion or a script like merge to HDR Pro.

If Affinity floats you boat enjoy your cruse I will not try to rock you boat smooth sailing to ya.