5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2008 8:35 AM by Shandy Elliott

Cursor controls text scroll

sw2gtg Level 1
      I really need a code that controls my scrolling text. In other words, when my text is scrolling vertically, I want the user to be able to place the cursor over the desired text and stop the scroll and click on the text. Does anyone have a simple code for this or know where a code can be purchased for download?
        • 1. Re: Cursor controls text scroll
          Shandy Elliott Level 1
          I'm not sure I understand. When the user moves the mouse over the text, there shouldn't be any scrolling because the mouse would no longer be over the scrollbar which controls the movement. Are you talking about being able to scroll the text up and down by using the mouse and clicking on the text? I think that's what you mean. If so, you can use the scrollPane component, drag it to the stage with an instance name of scrollPane. Use frame actions:

scrollPane.contentPath = "text";
          scrollPane.scrollDrag = true;
          scrollPane.hScrollPolicy = "off";
          scrollPane.vScrollPolicy = "off";

in this example, you will need to create a movie clip that contains a text field and name the movie clip "text", right-click that symbol in the library and go to linkage, export for AS, identifier name of "text". If you get this to work, you may notice the cursor will only change to "the hand" when the cursor is directly over text (not in between letters). To solve this, you can add a layer below the text field (in your "text" movie clip) and create a 0% filled shape the same size as your text field.

Let me know if this is what you are talking about.
          • 2. Re: Cursor controls text scroll
            sw2gtg Level 1
            Thanks for the reply. What I actually need is for the scrolling text to pause scrolling when the cursor is placed over it, then the user will click on the desired text to launch a url. You can go to http://myspace.com/genrerecordsdavidhernandez to see the text scroll. It's the last scene on the movie so please wait for it.
            • 3. Re: Cursor controls text scroll
              Shandy Elliott Level 1
              Do you have something already built I could apply code to?
              • 4. Re: Cursor controls text scroll
                sw2gtg Level 1
                This is a sample. The scrolling images will have a button that, when the cursor is placed over it, will slow down the scroll. I may even replace the images with the actual text if it's not too much trouble.

http://skyy-walker.com/onair.fla
                • 5. Re: Cursor controls text scroll
                  Shandy Elliott Level 1
                  There is something wrong with your link. I do not get a download dialog box. I'm directed to a page with tons of symbols (as if it was a binary representation of the file).