7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2008 5:40 AM by ThinkInk

external .js files

c_webgirl
      Hi all,

I see there is a way to setup external app to edit source files, but is there a way to use an external app (notepad.exe) to edit .js files? I have set it up in preferences, but the Contribute browser cannot display the .js file. When I navigate to the file in the Contribute browser like this: http://www.mywebsite.com/scripts/ddmenu.js I receive the following message:

'This file cannot be displayed in the Contribute web browser.

You may be able to edit this type of file with another application. Edit your Contribute preferences to specify an application.'

So I enabled notepad to edit .js files, but still get same result. Any suggestions?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: external .js files
          ThinkInk Level 2
          I do not know if the program is supposed to to this, but it is possible in CS3.

1. Make sure you have set the preferences so you have .js files set to be edited by f.i. notepad (think you did that already).
          2. Now close Contribute, start i up again and connect to your website
          3. Use the Choose button to the right off the address-bar to find your .js file and double click, you wil get this message:This file cannot be displayed in the Contribute web browser. You may be able to edit this type of file with another application. Edit your Contribute preferences to specify an application.
          4. But the Edit button is active now! So do not go to >File>Actions>Edit page source in external app., but click the Edit button and notepad will start.
          5. Edit the file and save it in notepad and then publish in Contribute.
          • 2. Re: external .js files
            c_webgirl Level 1
            ThinkInk,

It worked! Thanks a million. Please let me know, is the same possible for include files that end with .inc extension? Contribute says page cannot be found, but since I am selecting it from the 'choose' option, that seems strange. Perhaps if I convert the .inc to .asp it will work.

Let me know your thoughts, and thanks again for the .js tip!

Carrie
            • 3. Re: external .js files
              ThinkInk Level 2
              You should be able to use the normal 'Edit in external app.' option to edit these files (php, asp, etc.). For the .inc extension you should test yourself.
              • 4. Re: external .js files
                c_webgirl Level 1
                ThinkInk,

Yes, I am able to edit .asp files in this manner, but when I got to .inc it either says page cannot be found, or 'this extension reserved for Contribute', so I guess I can just make the includes .asp files.
                One more question (for now). Rollovers. If a Contribute user simply wanted to change an existing rollover, all they would have to do is swap out the image(s). So far, I see no way to upload files in Contribute. I suppose you could 'choose' a .jpg and edit it in an external app. - but you wouldn't really need to edit it - I mean, replacing it would be better, of course.
                Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
                • 5. Re: external .js files
                  ThinkInk Level 2
                  In the main menu go to >File>Publish File from My Computer and upload the image this way. make sure you have 'delete' rights cuase otherwise you cannot overwrite files on the server.
                  • 6. Re: external .js files
                    c_webgirl Level 1
                    ThinkInk,

If your role in Contribute is Administrator, then you should have delete rights, right?

Thanks.
                    • 7. Re: external .js files
                      ThinkInk Level 2
                      1. In the main menu go to >Edit>Administer websites
                      2. Users and Roles, click Edit role Settings
                      3. Folder Files Access