• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Testing iOS apps in new iTunes not available

Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I develop my iOS apps in Animate CC on a PC, test them on my Apple devices through iTunes. The new iTunes replease just deleted apps from the iTunes program; cannot add test apps to iTunes. The install to connected device check off box on the deployment tab does not work; I believe this was connected to iTunes in some way. Naturally, I am unable to roll back, the install of the prior version fails at starting up services. Will the only way to test is now through TestFlight process? Tough deal when working out the debug process. Appreciate any insight on this.

Thanks much, Jon

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

I haven't tried this myself (still on an earlier version here), but I did see this article talking about the iTunes change:

https://lifehacker.com/what-to-do-now-that-you-can-t-sync-ios-apps-using-itune-1809941947

It's from an average-user perspective rather than for developers, but this part jumped out as a possible workaround:

Since you can’t manage the apps using iTunes interface, you’ll have to use your computer’s file explorer alongside the iTunes window. Plug your iOS device in your computer,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried this myself (still on an earlier version here), but I did see this article talking about the iTunes change:

https://lifehacker.com/what-to-do-now-that-you-can-t-sync-ios-apps-using-itune-1809941947

It's from an average-user perspective rather than for developers, but this part jumped out as a possible workaround:

Since you can’t manage the apps using iTunes interface, you’ll have to use your computer’s file explorer alongside the iTunes window. Plug your iOS device in your computer, find the actual app file, and simply drag it on top of your device when it shows up in the iTunes sidebar. You can use the same method to manually add ringtones and books.

Sounds like you can possibly drag the app .ipa from your PC into the iTunes window and drop it on the device in the iTunes sidebar, seems a little convoluted but it might be worth a shot to see if this is possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The drag trick does work I gather, but the problem being reported is that you can't build the IPA from Animate to a connected device either.

Here's a topic on the same subject, where someone did roll back in order to get it working again. I've also alerted Adobe about the problem:

No Devices found to Install Application during Post Publishing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is how I rolled back - I also was failing install at the "start services" point.

1. Uninstall iTunes version 12.7

2. Open System Settings - Add or Remove Programs - we are going to remove the programs associated with iTunes that are not removed during an uninstall to ensure the older files are installed...these are the critical ones to getting things back to normal.

These are the programs that will be in the "Common Files/Apple" in the Program Files (32bit) and Program Files (x86) (64bit) folders.

3. Uninstall Apple Application Support (32-bit)

4. Uninstall Apple Application Support (64-bit)

5. Uninstall Apple Mobile Device Support

6. Download iTunes version 12.5 (I used 12.5.1) - I tried this with iTunes 12.6 and it did not work, so the issue seems to have been introduced with that version.

7. Install iTunes version 12.5

Steps 3, 4, and 5 are the keys to getting the rollback to work.  These programs are not deleted during the uninstall process of iTunes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've started using OTA installs.

My clients are all trained to use iTunes for ad-hoc installs during testing, and the new iTunes is not cooperating when I try the drag-to-device trick described above.  Having them roll back is not an option, unfortunately.

You can set up your own OTA, but you will need a server with valid SSL, and the setup for each build is timeconsuming.

Or use these guys (I do not work for Diawi or receive compensation for mentioning them):

https://www.diawi.com/

As long as the device UDID is on your dev certificate, it seems to work fine. You have to proactively uncheck some boxes or your app gets listed on their "wall". Other than that I like this method better than iTunes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was able to drag the .ipa to the iPad side bar and it did copy to the device. I was also able to roll back iTunes to 12.4, but the 12.7 update really messed up the icons and links. I ended up reinstalling 12.7 and trying the drag to sidebar trick. Hopefully, Adobe sees this and gets the connected device process fixed. I appreciate everyone's suggestions. I have marked Flipline's answer as correct.

Thanks much, Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines