4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2017 10:49 AM by Benjamin Root

PS keeps making my file too large??

kailaw14750949

I have put in the dimensions I need, 18 inches by 24 inches, also did this with a standard letter paper sized document as well. I'm only on 8% in viewing and it's already large. I can't even save the files for web correctly because it says the files are too large. They're up in to the gigabytes. I have NO idea what's going on. Dimensions are correct, but when scaled to 100% the document is HUGE. Please help! Need this printed quickly and uploaded to a website but right now I can't do either.

• 2. Re: PS keeps making my file too large??
          kailaw14750949 Level 1

I meant using not suing LOL! This is the current document I have open. It's SUPPOSED to be 8.5 by 11. I made this AFTER I closed down PS and reopened it. This is just at 16.67% scale. It's only supposed to be the size of a sheet of paper. Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 1.14.21 PM.png

• 3. Re: PS keeps making my file too large??
            davescm Adobe Community Professional

Hi

I've moved your question to the Photoshop forum.

The dimensions of 8.5inches x 11 inches refer to the printed size and are meaningless without the third element which is print resolution (ppi). Can you go to Image > Image Size and show a screenshot that will show us all three.

The screen zoom setting of 100% is referring to using 1 screen pixel to represent 1 image pixel. It has nothing to do with the printed size and will often look "zoomed in" as print resolutions are often higher than screen resolutions.

The only way to get the on screen size to match the intended print size  is to set the screen resolution (ppi) accurately in Preferences > Units & rulers and then go to View > Print Size.

Dave

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: PS keeps making my file too large??
              Benjamin Root MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Okay, so we know the document is 18"x24". How many pixels high and wide is the document? Pixels are the determining factor for file size. For instance, we could have a 2"x2" document at 600 pixel per inch (1200x1200 px) or a 2"x2" doc at 100 ppi (200x200 px).

Image size (Ctrl+Alt+I or Cmd+Opt+I) will show you the number of pixels.

1 person found this helpful