Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit image in PDF, ICC profile missing

Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When I use "Edit/Object" on one image in a PDF file (Adobe RGB) and open it in Photoshop, the image opens and shows correct color profile (Adobe RGB). I do my editing, and selects "Save". The image is then updated in the PDF file. Fine! But if I open the same image again using the same steps as before, the image that opens in Photoshop is missing its color profile!? Do I something wrong here or is it a bug... I follow these steps, just twice. Edit text and images in PDFs |

/Daniel

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

There is a long standing bug in Acrobat (including all versions prior to Acrobat DC) in which any image edited in Photoshop loses its profile when returned to Acrobat. This is known about within Adobe.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have similar issue with new version of Acrobat - I am still using Acrobat PRO XI, because acrobat DC automatically converts all images I want to edit in Photoshop to RGB, but I am working in CMYK workflow in most cases. This unwanted conversion probably happens when I open PDF file and Acrobat DC on MAC immediately want to start to turn this PDF to searchable or ready for computer reading.

I can't turn this function off !

I think this is big bug or Acrobat DC is for epublishing of office use only! For professional pre press is almost unusable.

Or can somebody explain how to use it in CMYK workflow??

/Petr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat DC: If you use Edit Object from the Print Production palette, it will edit the image as CMYK and will not convert the PDF to RGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

thank you for answer. I have try it now and you are right! 🙂 I have this issue long time ago and after that I stopped using Acrobat DC and till now I was using Acrobat PRO XI. But the UI of new Acrobat DC is very user unfriendly form me :-(( the old one was much more clear and usage was much quicker...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a long standing bug in Acrobat (including all versions prior to Acrobat DC) in which any image edited in Photoshop loses its profile when returned to Acrobat. This is known about within Adobe.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing to this; if an image is in neutral RGB color (equal rgb values) in the PDF. When trying to edit this image with the same procedure as mentioned earlier, in Phshop the image will open in "Index" color mode.

I have done these tests using:

Architecture: x86_64

Build: 18.9.20044.251705

AGM: 4.30.72

CoolType: 5.14.5

JP2K: 1.2.2.39492

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indexed colour isn't an alternative to RGB, it's just a different way of representing it. My guess is that the PDF creator used indexed colour, which is often done on images with 256 colours or less (hence, including greyscale images in RGB), and that this gets passed to Photoshop. So not a bug in anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I have checked with the creator of the PDF and the images in neutral grey are in Adobe RGB. This must be a Acrobat bug that interpreters grey RGB image as Index and tells Photoshop to open as such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I absolutely agree with you - my Acrobat DC did it again, and this time misinterpreted PDF which was all vector  (exported from Illustrator as Illustrator default) as MIXED bitmap (as usual INDEX COLOR SPACE (256 col. GIF :-)))) + some original vectors.

And now the most interesting - When I repeated all process (EDIT PDF) on my other Mac, there was all OK.

Now tell me somebody How can I trust any output of files edited using Acrobat DC?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are not different things. It is not indexed colour OR Adobe RGB. It can be both, and correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines