6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2008 3:51 PM by PHXA

Duplicate topics in ALI file

PHXA
      Hello,

I recently took over a project that's using RoboHelp X5, and I'm having trouble with duplicate topics listed in the ALI file. For example, the topic named "Add Product" has the following 2 records in the ALI file:

Add_Product=Product/Add_Product.htm
      Add_Product1=Product/Add_Product.htm

This duplication has occured for most (but not all) of the topics. Does anyone know why this is happening or how I can fix it? Is it okay to delete the duplicates from the ALI file or will that cause problems?

Thank you!
        • 1. Re: Duplicate topics in ALI file
          Pete Lees Level 2
          Hi, PHXA, and welcome,

Although unlikely, is it possible that the duplication is intentional? If there are two different dialogs in the application for which you want to provide the same online help, and each dialog passes a different context integer to the help file, then you need to set up the mappings so that the two integers are associated with the same topic file.

I think I'd be wary of deleting entries in the alias file without first comparing it with the map (.h) file. For example, you may find that the topic IDs Add_Product and Add_Product1 are mapped to two different context integers. If that's the case, deleting an entry in the alias file will break one of the context help calls.

Pete
          • 2. Re: Duplicate topics in ALI file
            Author care Level 2
            Hi PHXA
            It's a good idea to get a good understanding of how CSH works as RH presents a single screen which is actually an amalgamation of the mapping (.h) file and the alias (.ali) files. This can be a bit misleading. Have a look at the .h and .ali files in something like notepad to see a full picture. Once you're clear on how this works you could improve the way the CSH markers are named but, beware! The software calling these will be then be affected so work in collaboration with your software developers if you intend going down that route.
            • 3. Re: Duplicate topics in ALI file
              Pete Lees Level 2
              quote:

Originally posted by: Author care

It's a good idea to get a good understanding of how CSH works as RH presents a single screen which is actually an amalgamation of the mapping (.h) file and the alias (.ali) files. This can be a bit misleading. Have a look at the .h and .ali files in something like notepad to see a full picture.

Agreed. Here are some good sources of information on how map and alias entries work in HTML Help:

http://frogleg.mvps.org/helptechnologies/htmlhelp/hhtutorials.html#mapping
              http://www.help-info.de/en/Help_Info_HTMLHelp/hh_context-id.htm
              http://helpware.net/htmlhelp/how_to_context.htm

Pete
              • 4. Re: Duplicate topics in ALI file
                PHXA Level 1
                Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your responses.

From what I understand, there is a MapID file and an Alias file. The MapID file contains a list of the MapID Names and their assigned MapID Numbers. The Alias file associates each MapID Name with the correct html file. Therefore, there should be an equal number of MapIDs and Aliases. (Is this right?)

In my files, I'm showing 460 MapIDs and 747 Aliases. I compared the two files, and as far as I can tell, the aliases are actually duplicated.

For example, the alias file shows:
                Add_Product=Product/Add_Product.htm
                Add_Product1=Product/Add_Product.htm

And the MapID file shows:
                #define Add_Product 1253
                (there is no Add_Product1 in the MapID file)

Please let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks for your help,
                Amy
                • 5. Re: Duplicate topics in ALI file
                  Pete Lees Level 2
                  Hi, Amy,

Yes, only the topic IDs that are mapped to integers in the map file are used, so you should be OK to delete the redundant aliases. For safety's sake, I'd recommend that you first take a backup of your project so that you can go back to the old version in the event of any problems.

Pete
                  • 6. Re: Duplicate topics in ALI file
                    PHXA Level 1
                    Hi Pete,

I backed up my project and then deleted the duplicate aliases. Everything looks good. Thank you so much for the help!

Amy