• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 will not open any more

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since some time my ADE 4.5 will not open. It appears on the taskbar, and putting my cursor on it I get a picture of it as it it should look if fully opened, but when clicking on it nothing happens; the program does not come up on the screen. Since several months back I am running Windows 10 and have installed all offered updates, but I don't think that is what is causing the problem, which has only started recently. Or could it perhaps have been caused by a recent Windows 10 update?

TOPICS
ADE authorization

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

You can try this:

1) Right click on the Icon and run as admin.

2) Rename the My Digital Edition Folder under your Documents in My Digital Edition.old and start again.

3) Uninstall the current Version and install 3.0: http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions/downloads.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try this:

1) Right click on the Icon and run as admin.

2) Rename the My Digital Edition Folder under your Documents in My Digital Edition.old and start again.

3) Uninstall the current Version and install 3.0: http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions/downloads.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nanaky.  I know this answer is marked "Correct" but the link you have given to find version 3.0 does not work.  It goes to a funny screen with a list of blue titles on it (sort of like an index) but none of them lead to a 3.0 download.  I am no longer able to get books from the library since I installed the 4.5 version of ADE.  I am DESPERATE to get back to the older version because it worked. 

I am a disabled senior and accessing the library is very important to me because I can't go there in person.  I have been trying to solve this problem for weeks now and am pretty much at the end of my rope.  Please try the link you gave.  It does not work.  Do you or anybody out there, know where to find a valid download link to version 3.0?  I am pretty much convinced at this point that it doesn't exist.  But I sure hope I am wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go. I have 3 installed, but once I import a book it looks fine, but that book vanishes if I cloe the app. When I try to add it again it says it is already in the ;library, but I cannot see it. I have itinstalled on a USB drive also.https://www.dropbox.com/s/pk0mtcuy7d6nyw8/ADE_3.0_Installer.exe?dl=0

Tht is a linkg to the file in my dropbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

andkarena - Thank you for the download for ADE Version 3.0. I uninstalled
version 4.5 and replaced it with version 3.0. All seemed to go OK but when
I tried to use it to bring a book I bought from Kobo onto my eReader I got
an error message. Error: Check Activation. Do you have any idea what
that means? I have checked the activation status and both my laptop and my
eReader are authorized. If you have any advice for me, I would really
appreciate it. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

did you ever figure out the activation status - i am also having this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kandy,

I don't know if I actually figured anything out but I did get the Version 3.0 to work eventually.  I had originally put it on an older laptop of mine.  Shortly after, I retired that laptop and switched to a newer one. I put V3.0 on that one as well and that is where I saw the activation error.  As a last ditch effort to solve the problem I got my old laptop out and tried using it there.  Lo and behold it worked!!!  Not sure why. I was running Windows 10 on both of them so that wasn't the issue.  

It is a pain to have to switch to my old laptop every time I want to borrow a library book but I have done it several times now and it continues to function and I'm very grateful. 

Eventually, when I can afford it, I plan to get a newer eReader that comes with OverDrive software already installed.  With that, I should be able to access the library directly, through WiFi, without the need for the ADE software at all.  So I just have to hope my old laptop keeps functioning until I can make that happen.

I'm afraid this 'answer' probably won't be much help to you since I don't really understand what happened and I'm sorry about that.  I hope you find an answer that does work for you.  Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

StarVoyager, I don't know about you, but it has gotten to the point, with me, where I have to keep uninstalling both the 3.0 and the 4.5 versions of ADE, and then re-authorizing the computer and the Ereader, each time I want to read a book.  I went and got a new E-reader, which is lovely, but if I want a library book I can't borrow it directly from Overdrive (instead of using ADE) unless Kobo also sells that particular book.  I can barely stand all the work this takes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the problem arose because I have a subscription to Adobe Cloud from
work, which is under my work email address. So I’m now opening Digital
Editions from a different laptop where I don’t use any account with my work
email details (the programs communicate with each other in the background!)
Now I’m able to use ADE again. Yay!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain. I got a new Clara eReader so I would have Overdrive and
not have to use ADE any more. The Overdrive is not working perfectly but,
most of the time, I can avoid using ADE.

When buying a book from Kobo, I find I can buy it through Overdrive.

The borrowing of library books works as long as they are available and not
wait listed. I have not yet run into the problem of my library having a
book Kobo does not have. Just lucky, I guess?

When I put a book on Hold, it does show up as a hold in Overdrive on my
eReader. But, when the library emails me my turn has come, and the book is
now available, my eReader doesn't seem to understand this. When I click on
the book in Overdrive, the 'borrow' option is not there in the drop down
menu. When that happens, I have to borrow it using my laptop and online
library account and then I have to resort to using ADE to get it onto my
eReader. Version 3 still works on my old laptop which is practically
falling apart. When it finally gives up the ghost, I don't know what I'll
do as I can't get Version 3 of ADE to work on my new laptop.

I've never had to go through all the steps you described to get ADE to
work. I think I'd go crazy if I had to. I never did get Version 4.5 to
work. It was when I updated to that version that all my troubles started.
But some kind person from this community sent me a version 3 of ADE so I
uninstalled 4.5 and went back to using version 3. That worked for me. I
just wish Version 3 worked on my new laptop. I have no idea why it won't.

I don't know if any of this information will be helpful to you or not.
Probably not, I guess. But you do have my sincere sympathy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, not sure what is going on in your case, I haven't figured out my own
yet, but there is one good thing out of all this. Because my choice of
books is fewer since they have to be both for sale by Kobo, and in
Overdrive, I have had to read some books that are not in my usual genre,
which is Mystery and Suspense. I have, therefore, read some really good
books that I would not have found otherwise. A couple of plays by Canadian
playwrights. It is possible that I read too much, so I might have to wait
for the author's to write some more books. Anyway, I really appreciate what
you said, altho I don't wish these problems on anyone, it is comforting to
not be alone. If more people have a problem, I think the chances of a
solution might be higher. Hopefully!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reading too much?  Is that even possible?  Spoken by an avid reader.  I've been that way since I was just a kid.  Reading takes me to so very many places, both real and imaginary, that it has brought me much joy in my life which I am very grateful for.

I'm so glad you have found some unexpected good reads due to the problems you have been having. Way to make some lemonade from the lemons you got stuck with.  Kudos to you for that.

In a previous post, I mentioned getting a new eReader, a Clara, with Overdrive, due to all the problems I was having with the ADE software.  Initially, as I mentioned, the Overdrive was working but with some problems.  I'm happy to report that I ended up doing a Factory Reset on my new eReader, which the Kobo Help person had recommended, and now the Overdrive is working perfectly for both buying books and for borrowing them from my local library.  I have well over 1,000 books now on my eReader and was reluctant to take this step at first but now I am very glad I did.  After the reset, all my books came over from Kobo and so did my Collections - all 44 of them.  I was told by the Kobo Help person that only my books would come over but not the collections and I really did not want to have to recreate all of those.  But that Help person was wrong.  The Collections did survive the factory reset and I am so glad they did! 

I am very sorry so many people are having problems with the ADE software.  I blame Adobe for not fixing this or providing a download for the previous Version 3.0. (The link they give on their website does not work.)  Even if it is a free software they should still take responsibility for making it work right when it is so obvious that there are serious issues with Version 4.5 that so many people are experiencing.

In my case, now that my eReader is working perfectly with Overdrive, I don't have to use ADE at all anymore.  For me, that was the final solution to this problem.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the commiseration.  I too, have been reading since 4-5 yo.  Anything I could get my little hands on.
I have no issue with Overdrive, or getting those borrowed books onto Nook, as long as ADE 3.0 was functioning. I was speaking with MS agent on phone while trying to put hard drive back to being useful, and he said something about the device mfg (HP) needs to update my BIOS (whatever the heck that is).  I have a total contract with Geek Squad, and maybe they can do whatever that is.
I just recently heard of Kobo.  However, if I have no way to continue using Nook for borrowed books (it's going to last a long while with all the ones I've downloaded for free from B&N for the past 7-10 years), I will surrender and look into a Kindle.  My very senior father had one of those and if he could work it (with late Mom's help), I hope I can.
Blessings,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try renaming the manifest folder in your My Digital Editions folder to something like 1manifest and restart ADE.  Always works for me when I have this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Un grand grand merci à vous. Cela faisait des semaines que je cherchais un lien de téléchargement vers ADE 3.0 qui fonctionne. Je peux à nouveau utiliser ma liseuse Kobo avec les livres numériques empruntés à ma bibliothèque municipale.😊😘

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thing I did right before ADE hunt for the window mentioned by another poster and I clicked several times  than noticed that something had changed and then my books showed, so something about the contained window being closed was a lso a factor. Tanks to the member that posted that hint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could have written that post, word for word, senior who can't get to library, used 3.0 for years, but it has been discontinued.  Need to find what I (we) have to do on computer for it to accept ADE 4.5.  Blessings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works 

I have faced similar issue after a windows update, later this steps solved my problem.
Step 1: Delete the "My Digital Editions" folder or rename it to "My Digital Editions.old", delete would be better
Step 2: Go to this location : "C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Adobe_Systems_Incorporate"

Step 3: Delete the folder "DigitalEditions.exe" something looks like this:"DigitalEditions.exe_Url_qyaa14c3q2kp5ltfvp1pdpdu"
Step 4: Run the Application again with administrator,(hold shift + right click on app)

For me worked even without deleting the folder My Digital Editions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen something about deleting that folder, or renaming to .old.  I haven't tried it yet because I already one named .old, so need to figure out best way to handle (deleted the first one and rename this second one?  Leave the first one and delete this second (newer) one?  Delete both????  I need to accept that ADE is messed up, so if I deleted something ADE that I shouldn't have, I may not even know about it. 
I will give your instructions a try.  Unusual situ, I have errands to do tomorrow and an available driver (daughter), but hopefully in next few days I can have a go at it.  I'm in the middle of a detective series I own on Nook, so will probably binge them first (6 books, I think). 

Blessings to all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would probably eliminate the first .old and rename .old the one that is in use at present.

Anyway I didn't need to eliminate or rename it.

So you could first try to follow the three steps I wrote, without doing anything to that folder, and see what happens! Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS WORKED THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The computer does not respond to the download link for Windows 3.0. No tabs or windows open, and no new item appears in downloads. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for these solutions.  The second one worked for me. My problem was caused by updating windows 10 pro. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried both versions of ADE and they both giving me problems, 3.0 shows an activation error and licensing error while 4.5 refuses to even open. Is there another Ebook reader i could use, I have tried running them as admin, uninstalling and reinstalling. I am frustrated because i need to use the book, help (sigh).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines