• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Full Screen Preview on Primary Display Drops Frames

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a strangely specific issue with Premiere Pro CC 2017.

I have two monitors hooked up to my graphics card (GTX 970). Both monitors are 1080p Samsung televisions. One is a 32-inch connected using a DVI > HDMI cable and one is a 55-inch connected using HDMI. The 32-inch is set to be my primary display. The 55-inch is across the room from my desk and I use it mostly as a client monitor, so people can sit on the couch and watch on the big screen as I drive from my desk.

When I have the 55-inch monitor set up as a video device (Preferences > Playback > Video Device), fullscreen video from all kinds of sources plays like butter (h.264, ProRes/DNx, RED, etc. all play without issues)--even 4K at full res plays just fine with no dropped frames at all (dropped frame indicator stays green 99% of the time).

However, when I try to play video full screen on my primary monitor (the 32-inch) using control-tilde, I get constant dropped frames. And, again, it doesn't matter what the source is. Even low-res proxy files drop frames like crazy.

Note: I always disable the second display in Preferences > Playback > Video Device before attempting this so that the system isn't trying to play the video full screen on two displays. In fact, it doesn't even matter if I physically disconnect the second monitor from the system. I've also tried switching the primary monitor from the DVI connection to the same HDMI connection that I normally use for the client monitor and the problem persists.

I've tried moving media to different drives (from USB 3.0 drives, to internal spinning disks, to my SSD); I've also made a fresh project, imported just a single clip, and made a new sequence using the "New Sequence from Clip" option and the behavior is the same.

I don't think this has anything to do with codecs or drives because (a) everything plays fine on my second display so it's clear my hardware can handle playing this media full screen, and (b) the problem repeats with all kinds of media on many different drives.

Also note: Everything also plays just fine on my primary display using any windowed configuration. If I select my Source or Program monitor and hit tilde to maximize the window, I do not get dropped frames. Even if I have the resolution set to Full and the Zoom Level set to 100%.

The dropped frames only happen when I'm in full screen mode (control-tilde) on my primary monitor.

Other stuff I've tried:

- Checking and unchecking "Adobe DV" in Preferences > Playback > Video Device

- Checking and unchecking my primary display in Preferences > Playback > Video Device

- Checking and unchecking "Enable Mercury Transit" in Preferences > Playback

- Switching between CUDA, OpenCL, and Software Only in Project Settings > Video Rendering and Playback

- Emptying out the Media Cache folders

- I've restarted the machine many times

The dropped frames persist, but, again, only in this one specific scenario of attempting to play clips full screen (in either my Source or Program monitor--it doesn't make a difference) on my primary display. Since the other monitor is across the room, this function is extremely useful to me--maximizing the window is no substitute for full screen.

I'm at a loss! This really feels like a bug to me. Has anybody ever run into this issue? Any troubleshooting ideas?

My system:

Hackintosh running OSX 10.11.6

Intel i7-4790K

32 gigs RAM

GTX 970 GPU with 4 gigs of vram

Adobe Premiere 11.1.2 (22) Build

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same thing here on 2013 maxed out iMac (3.5GHz i7, 32GB RAM & GTX 780M 4GB). Everything plays like butter on any screen, except for when I toggle full screen playback on the primary monitor (the iMac itself in this case) - then everything stutters...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines