Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selections aren't showing in Live View

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

i am am a brand new user and my school Staff couldn't help me find a solution for my problems. I don't even know how to describe the problem; is there a way to post some pictures or email them?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you have questions on DW, you can copy paste images or use "Insert Image" option at the top bar.

Do provide information on which DW version you are using.

~Lalita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

thanks for the reply,

I am using dreamweaver 2017 CC. There is no insert pictures option - at least not when using a mobile device.

I have created a file using bootstrap but in my live section I can't see any of the elements. I am supposed to play around with those elements for my assignment. Please help me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not certain exactly what you are trying to do, but Dw does not work on mobile devices.

If however you are talking about live view, when set to the mobile device 'view', then you must double click on the image for these to apear. It is also possible that your instructor is talking about using design view and not live view, to enable design view click on the drop-down arrow, (where it says live) and select it.

I would warn you though that Dw 2017 is no longer a visual layout tool, and to work with it effectively you will require a good understanding of html and css in order to work in code view.

You should also check which version of Dw you should be using, as there is a big difference between how older versions are used and the current 2017 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am not using Dreamweaver on mobile devices. Please read previous comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inayal was talking about the Insert Image option in the forum's comment tool bar. Switch to a desktop/laptop browser for the forum, your issue is on a computer, may as well use the added real estate and functionality of the forum from there too.

Walk us through the steps you've taken so far with the program, don't leave out anything, no matter how small.

What assignment are you following, is it from the Classroom in a book on DW?
Does the assignment's version of Dreamweaver match the EXACT version you have installed on your machine?
What "elements" are you supposed to be able to see and "play around with" in DW's Live View?

Live View is not a WYSIWYG editor. You're not going to be able to click and drag elements around the screen. Clicking an element will outline it in blue, that's how you know it's selected there. Design View is different, it's allows for more direct manipulation of elements, but won't look like the site does in a browser and without some fairly specific code being added, also will not allow you to move elements around the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John Fritz,

I am using a new hp laptop with Windows 10 installed on it.

I am following the "Classroom in a book" Chapter 5 instructions" Creating a page layout". On page 116 "Creating a layout with Bootstrap", I get stumbled on point 1. The book says "The <body> element is selected in the window." However, that is not my case. I can not see the body elelment at all.

My teacher and I have both followed the same steps starting on page 114:

1. Select file > new
  2. select new document
  3. select HTML
  4. select bootstrap frameword
  5. for bootstrap css, select new
  6. deselect the design option Include a Pre-build Layout
  7. Click customize
  8. click create.
  9. save file

please help or I was wondering if I can cancel my subscription and get a refund otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of the program are you running?

Go to Help > About Dreamweaver

If that version doesn't identically match (note Dreamweaver CC is very different from CC2014, CC2015 and/or CC2017) you will need to obtain the correct, older version. Luckily as a paid subscriber, it's very, very simple to do through the CC Desktop Application.

1. Open the CC Desktop Application

2. Click the Apps tab

3. Click the small arrow next to Dreamweaver's install icon

4. Click "Other Versions"

5. Install the same version as your book

You can have 5 full versions of DW installed through the CC Desktop App this way on the same machine at the same time under a single subscription. They just won't run concurrently. In the future, if you continue to work with DW, choose the Advanced Options link during installation of newer full releases (dot releases will overwrite) you can turn off the Remove Older Versions checkbox and keep the older version until you're familiar with the changes in the newer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

I have Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017 release book, and also Dreamweaver 2017 CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

roxanareed  wrote

Hi John,

I have Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017 release book, and also Dreamweaver 2017 CC.

That is literally the first time I have ever seen anyone in the forums with matching program/resources! Usually people are 2-3 versions apart, nice!

Given the steps you've taken, you should be able to click just about anywhere in the top white area of the Live View window to get the <body> tag to be selected.

Make sure you have Live View turned on in the Document Toolbar. If you do not see the Code | Split | Live buttons in a toolbar at the top of your screen, go to Window > Toolbar and place a check by Document to activate the options (toward the right in this screenshot)...

Then click the small arrow next to Design (if it's there) and change it to Live.

You can also place the cursor anywhere within the <body> in the Code View window to select it in Live View. Once it's selected, a blue outline will appear with "body" in a blue tab as pictured above.

If you are in Design View, nothing will highlight, or change at all if you select the <body> in Code View. Clicking in the Design View window will only make a cursor appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon,

I very much appreciate your promptness.

Unfortunately, although I am in live view and follow all the steps correctly, the body element does not show up. I tried to click anywhere in the white area, I've tried to select the body element in the code area. No element will show up.

Please help me understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are 100% sure you are in Live View, and even clicking within the <body> tag in the Code View isn't bringing up the highlighting I show above, it would sound to me like a bad installation.

Since you're a new user, I'll let you in on a dirty little secret: DW corrupts itself frequently and without warning. It has since the beginning of DW (possibly earlier). There are 3 main steps we generally take to fix it, Clearing the Program Cache, Restoring Preferences and an Adobe Cleaner Tool Reinstall.

Since this sounds like your first time using the program, and aren't likely to have a bunch of extensions and custom code installed, you can probably skip the first one and go straight to Restoring Preferences (copy all of the links for future use)...

Clear Program Cache - https://forums.adobe.com/thread/494811

Restore Preferences CC Versions - https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/restore-preferences-dreamweaver.html

Cleaner Tool Reinstall (last resort) - https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Step 1 and 2 will typically clear up odd behaviors like you describe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon,

I followed all your instructions carefully and still I can't see the element on my screen. Any others suggestions?

Thank you,

Roxana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you have Live View Displays turned off for some reason.

Look under View > Live View Options and see if you have a check mark by "Hide Live View Displays". Ctrl + Alt + H will also toggle the setting.

If the check mark is there, you won't see the blue selection line and tab in Live View, it needs to be turned off to activate the displays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oddly, this just started happening to me as well while trying to find reasons for it happening on your machine.

I had to add content between the body tags to get the Live View Displays back after switching them on and off...

<body>

hello world

</body>

Once I added the content between the tags, it came back.

If that doesn't do it for you, I think I'm officially out of ideas, aside from a Cleaner Tool Reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roxana,

Are you working with error free code denoted by the Green checkmark?  See screenshot.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Nancy, I get an error free code. Thank you for your response.  It is very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can also use screencas jing (it's free) and can grab your screen , sound and sometimes it's easier to explain trouble...

Jing | TechSmith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do find you should be using an earlier version of Dw, then read this post by Jon Fritz -

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2387725

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines