• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Captivate 2017 compatible with Mac OS 10.13 (High Sierra)?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to check if anyone's tried Captivate 9 or 2017 with High Sierra (10.13)?

I was caught out when I upgraded to Sierra last year and Captivate didn't work, so thought I should check before upgrading this time. 

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Getting started , Installation and licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Here's a followup to my previous post:

I upgraded to OS X High Sierra.

I could then not publish or preview working responsive projects. A loader spinner just appears in the browser. The output would also not work on other machines. Projects published BEFORE the upgrade still work in the browser.

Here's the update: I can publish working projects if, in the skin editor, I disable the playback bar.

It's not a solution per say but it is a temp work-around until we have a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not a Mac user, but will just give you what I would recommend to each Windows user: never install a new OS in a rush. From what I heard about the new iOS even big companies like Wacom (much used by creative Mac users) are not ready for High Sierra, which means there are a lot of changes which complicate it for hardware and software companies. Captivate 2017 was released months ago, if you want to be safe do NOT install the new OS immediately but wait (probably) for a patch that will make it compatible. Of course this is only the wisdom of a die hard Windows user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+100

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate the response and agree there's always a risk when upgrading any OS close to release. However, I need to upgrade due to my work environment, which is why I was asking if anyone has tried Captivate on 10.13.

I contacted Adobe, they suggested I just upgrade and let them know of any issues... which although unhelpful, may be my only option. If no one chips in over the next couple of days, I'll upgrade and post back. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand, but allow me to consider this not to be good practice at all. From what I read on other Adobe forums, more applications could cause issues with this new OS. Most users will be careful. I always keep at least one system with older OS (still have a WIn7 desktop for that purpose) to cope with older (versions of ) applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to OS X High Sierra w/o thinking. While Captivate will run on the updated Mac, you cannot preview any project that is responsive. You only get a loading screen. We have a few macs that upgraded and all have the same issue regardless of the browser. Java was upgraded, downgraded and tried in every fashion. We contacted Adobe and they had no idea of the issue. I'm hoping they get a ton of people writing / calling in and get a fix out asap. I'm in a corporate setting with restoring a backup to Sierra is apparently not possible. I'm kinda hosed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a followup to my previous post:

I upgraded to OS X High Sierra.

I could then not publish or preview working responsive projects. A loader spinner just appears in the browser. The output would also not work on other machines. Projects published BEFORE the upgrade still work in the browser.

Here's the update: I can publish working projects if, in the skin editor, I disable the playback bar.

It's not a solution per say but it is a temp work-around until we have a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered the same issue after installing the update this morning and this workaround saved me. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi What is the workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh,  im downloading. many thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix that worked for me was removing the check mark for Show Playback Control in the Skin Editor . (Project > Skin Editor)Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 5.23.58 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the detailed response and work-around, John! Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We contacted Adobe and just got a hotfix that I can confirm works. You'll have to get it past High Sierra's mac security but it does work. I know posting a link here may feel dubious but it's totally up to you.  Here's the email from Adobe and the link: 

Date: Monday, October 16, 2017 at 2:18 PM
To: DL-CaptivateHelp <CaptivateHelp@adobe.com>
Subject: [EXT] Re: Captivate Playbar not working in OS X High Sierra (Mac)

Hi Jared,

Please download the hotfix for MAC from the following location:

Replace the Adobe Captivate app file within the installation folder under Applications and "9.0" and "10.0" folder within Applications-> Adobe Captivate 2017/sdk/libs/cplibs/

Consider taking backup of the original files before replacing.

Thanks,

Aditya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love you, will you marry me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering if this bug will be addressed soon in an update? Looks like it has been three months. I have recently downloaded the latest version. I am evaluating for purchase now, and seems strange I have to download a hotfix from dropbox to provide basic functionality. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question. Its been 4 months since High Sierra was released. Of course, Developer releases have been available long before then. In the more than half-year that High Sierra has been available for testing; I would have thought that somebody on the Mac Captivate team would have tested publishing output on their OWN Captivate Prime LMS.

Mac High Sierra published html5 content simply doesn't work in PRIME LMS.

In the last 6 months I have received a half-dozen updates to various apps in my CC suite fixing many kinds of problems and even adding new features.

So, the question is, how does Adobe regard its Mac Captivate user base, vs. its Mac CC user base?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

thanks for the hit fix. However, after applying this it, I got the following message and captivate did not start.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-28 um 06.54.51.png

Could you please help? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A full patch is released this week, are you talking about that one ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been a few hot fixes since the one I posted. I would contact support and get the most recent one. We had to do just that 2 weeks ago as our closed captioning was acting strange. We contacted support using the chat feature and they looked at my screen and sent me the hot fix link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need for  hot fixes anymore, full patch is released, can be installed with Help, Updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! I guess I'll be testing that this morning before my team installs! Thanks, Lilybiri​. Kinda wish Captivate would notify us of updates!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And of course the update failed. Maybe my hot fixes brought me up to date after all. Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 7.35.49 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the version number. It should be 10.0.1.285.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm at 10.0.0.226. It should have updated. This is a fresh install too. Very frustrating. 1 step forward 2 steps back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on WIndows. Try to clear the Preferences before installing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources