• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Finding the actual colour of a pantone code HEX in Photoshop vs CC libraries?

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I have run into a conversion issue in Photoshop. I find a Pantone color in photoshop save it to my CC librares and it gets saved as a HEX code example #E2467C now when I click edit on that saved Pantone color it gives me a compleetly different HEX code in the color picker mode #C3487B. Now my question is what is the HEX code that is being saved as the color name in the CC libraries and why is it different from the one in Photoshop color picker and which one is the correct one to use?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Hi

A Hex Code is nothing special, it is just a representation of an RGB value in base 16. So FFFFFF is 255,255,255.

The problem is that without reference to a color profile - then those values  are meaningless.

In other words the same values referenced to different color profiles will represent different colors.

Similarly the same colour represented in different colour profiles will use different values.

So the answer to your question is that both values can be correct and represent the same colour -

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find a Pantone color in photoshop save it to my CC librares

As far as I know cannot save a Pantone Colour from Photoshop as you seem to describe;, when you use the Color Picker you are effectively selecting an RGB, CMYK etc. color because actual Spot Colors can only exist as Spot Channels (or duplex, …) in Photoshop.

You may want to use Illustrator or Indesign instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

A Hex Code is nothing special, it is just a representation of an RGB value in base 16. So FFFFFF is 255,255,255.

The problem is that without reference to a color profile - then those values  are meaningless.

In other words the same values referenced to different color profiles will represent different colors.

Similarly the same colour represented in different colour profiles will use different values.

So the answer to your question is that both values can be correct and represent the same colour - depending on the colour profile being referenced in each

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines