4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2017 1:32 AM by davescm

Need help with low res low poly 3D

kbos

I have been trying to find a way to duplicate the look of late 90s early 00s gaming (things like tomb raider, crash, gex, jet set radio, etc) but i cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it. (Everything is so nice and smooth now!) I appreciate that graphics have come a long way, but I want that low resolution chunky pixelated poly look yknow? Is this at all possible in photoshop's 3D settings?

Thanks for any help!

-Kelly

• 1. Re: Need help with low res low poly 3D
          davescm Adobe Community Professional

Hi

You don't have the range of controls in Photoshop 3D that you do in a full 3D programme but a few things you can do :

1. Restrict the pixel size of your image.

2. Keep to 8 bit

3. In 3D Properties for scene - set surface style to "flat". Unfortunately in Photoshop you cannot control the mesh to use fewer polygons - which would have made the surfaces more visible*

4. Limit the render quality in Preferences - 3D

* If you want greater control over the mesh use a 3D program such as Blender

Below is a sphere with normal 3D default settings and the steps above for comparison

Dave

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need help with low res low poly 3D

An alternative approach using Blender to restrict the number of faces on the model and a posterize adjustment layer to limit the colour palette

Dave

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Need help with low res low poly 3D
              kbos Level 1

This is just what I was looking for thank you!

I do use Autodesk Maya '15 but I was thinking Photoshop might work better for lower resolution graphics I will try to adjust my settings in both programs and see what gives the best results.

Thanks again Dave I have so many projects in my head I can try out now!

-Kelly

• 4. Re: Need help with low res low poly 3D

You're welcome - have fun

Dave