4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2017 10:57 AM by Typeaux

Mulitiple Signatures and a Topaz Signature Pad

mcctfcu

I have a form that has multiple signature fields.  When the first member signs the signature pad and populates the field as expected.  When the second or third click into the field to sign, it brings up my digital signature for them to use.  It will not allow them to use the signature pad to sign.  So, what am I doing wrong?  Am I missing a different signature button in DC a property that I need to set to allow multiple signatures?   I have used the Adobe 9 and didn't have any trouble with it but I seem to have loads of it with DC.  Please help.  Thank you.

• 1. Re: Mulitiple Signatures and a Topaz Signature Pad
          Tariq Dar Adobe Employee

Hi Mcctfcu,

Sorry for the delay in response.

The Certify Document window will appear.

• If you have multiple certificates, choose your signing certificate from the
            Sign As: drop-down menu.
          • Customize the signature appearance to your liking.
          • Under Permitted Actions After Certifying make sure either Form fill-in and digital signatures or Annotations, form fill-in, and digital signatures are selected so that additional signatures can be placed.

• Click Sign.
          • Save the PDF & enter the password for your Certificate/USB Token.

The next steps will vary depending on the number of signatures and whether or not one person is applying multiple signatures or multiple people are applying one signature each.

If the next signature is to be placed by another individual, forward the certified document to them to complete the next signature field. If you are placing additional signatures with the same cert, right-click the next signature field and again choose Certify with Visible Signature.

-Tariq Dar

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mulitiple Signatures and a Topaz Signature Pad
            Typeaux Level 1

My situation is a little different

I have a compliance document that requires eleven signatures.  I've set up signature fields for each signer, but the "Participant Role:" field pull-down only allows up to six signatures.  I tried putting "Signer" from the pulldown in the block, but the first signatory informs me that the document wants him to sign "nearly half" of the signature blocks (presumably the ones simply marked "Signer").

Is there a way to manually increase the number of signatures beyond six?  This seems like an arbitrary limitation and it seriously impacting the delivery of this document needed for audit.

• 3. Re: Mulitiple Signatures and a Topaz Signature Pad
              Tariq Dar Adobe Employee

Hi Mcctfcu,

Sorry, I am not sure what you saying.

What do you mean by " "Participant Role:" field pull-down only allows up to six signatures"?

Not sure about this "the document wants him to sign "nearly half" of the signature blocks"?

If you talking about the size of a signature field you may draw it on the file/form either using Prepare form time or while signing a form using option "sign with certificates"

Also, not sure "Is there a way to manually increase the number of signatures beyond six?"

-Tariq Dar

• 4. Re: Mulitiple Signatures and a Topaz Signature Pad
                Typeaux Level 1

Hello Tariq,

In the Text Field Properties dialog box associated with a manually-added signature field, there is a Participant Role pull-down menu:

The pull-down field is not customizable, and there are options for only a sequence of six signers:

While using Adobe Sign (nee EchoSign or e-Sign) *may* cause the form to auto-populate with signature fields in the correct sequence (based on the email addresses provided for routing), it does not negate the fact that if using this manual process, the number of signers is limited to six.  This might be a vestige from some antecedent Adobe Acrobat version, and yet the limit of six is still there, and appears to be arbitrary.  For compliance documents, the number of signers could well go much higher than six for a given document.  If simply skipping the "Add Signature Field" step and letting Adobe Sign populate the PDF form with the required sequential signature blocks works, then why does this Text Field Properties dialog box even exist?  What's it for?  What good is it?  In my case it has caused confusion and chaos (and madness will surely follow if this option is pursued...)

To your question about the document wanting the first signer to sign "more than half" of the documents, it works like this:

There are eleven signature fields here -- six in the first column and five in the right. The signing order is the first column (Signer 1, Signer 2, Signer 3, etc., up to Signer 6), then the second column lacks the option for Signers 7 through 11.  When the first Signer ("Signer 1") signs, it will not let him send to Signer 2 until those that have just been marked "Signer" (all those on the right) are signed by him.