1 2 Previous Next 54 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2017 10:04 PM by MichaelMill81 Go to original post
      • 40. Re: Much improved hardware specs not improving export time...?
        MyerPj Level 3

I think my Processes - Nuts and bolts thread which I posted yesterday explains why the process count has gone up with the Creators Edition, (which is simply the latest Windows 10 update). Check that out cause the # of running processes reported in prior versions is no doubt less than are actually running.

• 41. Re: Much improved hardware specs not improving export time...?
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Incidentally, both the Windows 7 and my Windows 10  test happen to be running 62 processes.

• 42. Re: Much improved hardware specs not improving export time...?
            MyerPj Level 3

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Bill+Gehrke  wrote

Incidentally, both the Windows 7 and my Windows 10  test happen to be running 62 processes.

Yes, but per the MS article I linked to in the Processes thread, the counting is different since Windows 10 version 1703. (April 2017 upgrade) IE: the current Windows 10. So, in order to get an Apples to Apples / Orange to Oranges test, it will be good to see your numbers when you finally upgrade. I'm hoping my 92 is about right with the new individual threaded / non-grouped processes of the earlier versions you are using. IE: 92 is the new 62!

If you can, install a Windows 10 / 1703 version on one of your test drives to get an idea, or post on that thread once you finally do upgrade.

Processes - Nuts and bolts

• 43. Re: Much improved hardware specs not improving export time...?

If I get around to it I will clone my current Windows 10 SSD to another SSD and try the upgrade.

1 person found this helpful
              • 44. Re: Much improved hardware specs not improving export time...?
                DavidROfficer6198 Level 1

Saw on another thread. Try creating or modifying a file called "cuda_supported_cards" and putting it in the  Premiere Pro directory?

• 46. Re: Much improved hardware specs not improving export time...?

I know but it helped on the other forum and i assumed he wasn't running CS6

• 47. Re: Much improved hardware specs not improving export time...?
                    MichaelMill81

Well we made some form of progress yesterday.  Turns out one of the major culprits was a plugin my wife uses when she edits videos.

We knew it was the reason hours were being added to encoding time, because one of the various things we did while trying to figure out why encoding time didnt change with the new machine was to take a project and see how long it took to encode without using that plugin - on both the old and new computer.  The time went down by hours, but still took the same amount of time to encode on either machine.

She ended up finding a new plugin, and it cut the time down to basically how long it took to encode without the old plug in there at all.  The GPU basically handles it like its not even there, I guess.  So, thats good, times were cut down by hours, but at the same time its clearly taking "way" longer than it should be taking to encode videos as it takes just as long as the old machine. 

DavidROfficer6198's advice is that its Windows 10 not fully utilizing the CPU, and using Windows 7 may help that.  I still have to try that because I need to put a DVD drive in the new computer.  I didnt bother buying one with it because we never seem to use them.  I dont doubt that suggestion, but Ive had people telling me that theyre using Windows 10 and are getting better times than me, so I dont know what to make of that.  Plus my wife isnt too keen on moving back to Windows 7, but is willing to if that actually makes enough of a difference.

Other than the Windows 10/Windows 7 theory, I have yet to figure out why this particular PC isnt encoding any better than the old PC.

So, I have to ask... and I know Im reaching here, because its kind of the point that Ive gotten to, is there any chance that maybe my CPU is "malfunctioning" in some way without any signs?

The PC runs fine and I havent encountered any errors at all that would lead me to believe something might be wrong, but I thought it might be worth asking if its possible.  I considered exchanging the CPU just for the hell of it to see what would happen.  But, like I said, I know its kind of just reaching.

• 48. Re: Much improved hardware specs not improving export time...?

I don't think the CPU is malfunctioning. You'd have a lot more issues if it were. Is there any way you could stick with Windows 10 and install the Anniversary Update and not the Creator's Update? I never tried that but i've seen all sorts of comments on the update.

I still maintain that i had virtually the same results using Windows 10 Creator's Update with encoding not fully utilizing the cores and switching to Windows 7 solved the issue.

• 49. Re: Much improved hardware specs not improving export time...?

download prime95 and run it. Double check resource monitor and see if all threads are in use. If you run this stress test program and it uses all threads near maximum, then we narrow it down to how Premiere and Media Encoder interact with Windows 10

• 50. Re: Much improved hardware specs not improving export time...?

You can then rerun the CPU intensive PPBM timeline and you should see all cores and threads like this on my Windows 10 Creator OS with Premiere Pro 11.1.2.22.  Notice that as David expected no longer can we expect to see my 60 some processes it is now in Creator 110 processes, but I am still getting this done in rougly 240 seconds with this OC'ed 8-core i7-5960X

• 51. Re: Much improved hardware specs not improving export time...?
                            MyerPj Level 3

Hey Bill, David is recommending Windows 7 and changing the "cuda_supported_cards.txt" text file. I was referring to the processes. So, 110 processes is your cloned Windows 10 brought forward to 1703? That shows what I was saying. BTW: I was trying like a madman to get down to about 70 processes, but it just wasn't happening. I only stumbled upon the info of the Windows new loading of (individual) processes recently when I went back in to try again.

Originally I had removed so many processes that my windows load from the lock screen to desktop was taking 20 seconds so I started with a clean install again, (it takes about 2 seconds now) and just use OO, Black Viper and the Nvidia telemetry removal. Plus of course all the Adobe, Intuit, Google etc.. processes that try to sneak in there. Thanks for the tips on those and pointing to Harm's tuning guide.

• 52. Re: Much improved hardware specs not improving export time...?

I like the idea of David's to run the Prime 95 so you can watch the CPU clock frequency and the CPU temperatures to see if during full load you might have a heat problem which would down throttle the 4.3 GHZ Turbo CPU clock and thereby taking much longer to export.  But also you will also see full load with the shorter PPBM CPU intensive test which took 278 seconds on your system and could be the reason why that one of your PPBM tests came out so high, my 8-core 4.5GHz system scores around 240 seconds so you should be able to do better.

@MyerPJ   Yes, I can go back and forth with two different boot SSD's and with version 1703 and 107 initial processes and version 1511 with 63 processes. and get the same results with the PPBM testing on Windows 10's two different versions. so I see absolutely no reason to consider Windows 7 (which I also have a boot SSD to run PPBM tests) . .

• 53. Re: Much improved hardware specs not improving export time...?
                                MyerPj Level 3

Cool testing of current Windows 10 and previous version. So looks like "107 is the new 63" when it comes to processes and counts in the new version of windows, similar to what I was expecting.

Earlier I updated a previous Windows 7 SSD to run on my current hardware (which Windows handle quite well I thought) but I also saw no performance increase. Windows 10 seems every bit as fast and actually faster when using external USB 3 drives. I've got the W10 interface now similar to Windows 7 also, and I've been running Classic Start Menu since probably the XP days which I saw you using (one of the only enabled startup options you have.) I actually remove them from the registry instead of disabling them. I see David feels strongly about Windows 7, but I didn't find his experiences running Wndows 10 just fine.

• 54. Re: Much improved hardware specs not improving export time...?
                                  MichaelMill81 Level 1

I havent been able to get on the new PC for a while.  It hasnt felt quite as urgent since we replaced that plugin that increased the encoding time by hours.

But there has been a strange development.  My wife was recently encoding a video and using the computer while it was encoding.  I think she was transferring files to an external hard drive while using the internet. The computer froze up on her while encoding and a hard reset was performed.  She had to start the encoding over again because it hadnt finished, and when she did she told me the CPU was being fully utilized now.

I checked and every core was being fully used.  In a previous post I had checked and half of them werent.  7 were barely being used at all and a few more just werent being used fully.

We got our hopes up, but further testing showed that the encoding time wasnt actually increased.

So I dont know what thats all about... I thought it was strange though.

1 2 Previous Next