25 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2018 5:33 PM by Sue Garibaldi

Timelapse in Adobe Draw

QuercusFlorida Level 1

I am really anxious to try the new time lapse feature, and can't figure out how it works. I can see it generating a VERY nice time lapse, but then can see no way to use it, and no way to edit it, which I would particularly like to  be able to do.

• 1. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw
          Sue Garibaldi Adobe Employee (Admin)

QuercusFlorida.

There is currently no way to edit the time lapse video; right now they can only be shared.

I have gotten a couple of requests that they be made editable in future versions of the drawing apps, but I'm not sure what the plans are for evolving this feature.

Sue.

• 2. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw
            blairrorani Level 1

Hi QuercusFlorida, here's how to use the time lapse feature:

1. Draw something
            2. Tap share
            3. Tap Time lapse
            4. You'll see your video and can play it
            5. Tap share again
            6. Save it to your photos
            7. Then open Apple Photos
            8. Then tap edit (looks like some little sliders)
            9. Then you can trim the video by dragging the sliders at either end into the middle
            10. Tap done to save as a new clip (your old one is kept and a new copy is created with your edits)
            11. If you want to do more advanced editing, then you can use an app like iMovie or your preferred video editing app

Remember: Adobe Draw is designed to capture drawings not to edit videos. But there are tons of ways to edit videos on your iPad or Mac or whatever.

Pls let me know if that answers your question

2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw
              QuercusFlorida Level 1

Dear Sue

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I will certainly give it a try.

I guess the more advanced editing would include removing frames from within

the video?  Which I also wanted to do, as well as trimming time from the

beginning or end. Can you tell me if that's the case? I am an absolute

utter complete novice at this video business! Whether in Draw or in any

other form.

Thanks again,

Dru Nichols

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 11:37 AM Sue Garibaldi <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 4. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw

Hi Quercus.

It was actually Blair who gave you the detailed editing tips (I assumed you wanted a way to do it in the app).

I don't do a whole lot with videos but I have noticed that video editing right in the Photos app has gotten pretty sophisticated so editing in the middle of the video might be possible there.

Sue.

• 5. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw
                  QuercusFlorida Level 1

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 10:39 PM blairrorani <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 6. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw
                    blairrorani Level 1

How to edit a video in Apple Photos on your iPad

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207587

If you want to remove frames from the ‘middle’ of a video, which again is nothing to do with Adobe Draw, you can use iMovie (or your preferred video editing app), or you can do this which is very fiddly.

1. Follow the guide above to trim your video from the start to the part you want to remove.
                    2. Tap Done to save a new clip.
                    3. Edit the original video again and trim your video from after the part you want to remove to the end.
                    4. Tap Done again.
                    5. Download Adobe Premier Clip.
                    6. Add your two new videos (the new clips you just saved).
                    7. Export / Share your video.

If you want to do really detailed editing, then I’d suggest one of two things:

Edit your video on your desktop or notebook using iMovie or Adobe Premier Pro (you’d need to Google how to do this, but it’s basically selecting the part you want to delete and deleting it.

Or, just redo your drawing. Unless it took you more than a few minutes to record it, then just practise and draw it again without the mistake.

If that answers your question, then please make this question as answered so other people know. Thanks.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw
                      theangietaylor Adobe Community Professional

You can also edit frames in Photoshop if you are more comfortable with that. Photoshop now has a timeline where you can edit video or animation.

• 8. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw
                        QuercusFlorida Level 1

I'm glad there's a way to reply on here. I was getting so confused in my email I didn't know which and was up,  and wanted to thank everyone who offered to help me.   So thank you, too, Sue!

• 9. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw
                          QuercusFlorida Level 1

Thank you Angie, that's another one for me to bear in mind. Apparently there are several ways to do this, I guess I'm just going to have to jump in and give it a try.  

• 10. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw
                            QuercusFlorida Level 1

Thanks again, so much, Blair. You've been a really big help and I appreciate it.

Dru Nichols

• 11. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw

Hi Sue, I’d love it if we could see the lines actually being drawn in the Timelapse. Currently it just plays each stroke one after the other but if we could see the strokes growing as they are drawn this would be very useful for doing write on effects.

• 12. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw
                                blairrorani Level 1

But that is no longer time lapse. Time lapse means allowing time to lapse or pass between capturing frames and then playing the frames at a normal frame rate. Like when you see clouds or a sun rise or sun set on TV that  is ‘sped up’. It’s not actually sped up, there is just a break between when each frame is captured. For example once every second instead of 20-30 times per second.

So you’re actually asking Adobe to build an entirely new feature that records every stroke being drawn at a much higher frame rate. This is usually achieved by making an animation in After Effects or another animation app. It also results in very large video files.

I suspect that the purpose of the time lapse feature is to replace the need for ‘artists’ to record their iPad screens and then manually create a ‘sped up’ video which is actually a normal video played at a high frame rate. Speed painting is another name for this kind of video. They might sketch Thor which takes them 20 mins but they speed up the vid so it’s only a few mins long.

iOS 11 allows you to record your entire screen. This will allow you to see each stroke being drawn. You’d just need to hide the Draw tools and crop the top status bar out of the video and you could get what you’re asking for. Again these vids will be massive though.

• 13. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw

Yes,

I understand all

of this. I know Time lapse is something different, that’s why I’m asking for something else. I use After Effects a lot and it does something similar but it does not have great drawing tools and brushes. But, anyway, the point is that there is not an Adobe app that will record an entire drawing in this way. It would be great if there was. Sketch and Draw would be natural choice for this kid of work. It would be used a lot by people for whiteboard animation.

• 14. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw

Hey Angie.

In the short time that timelapse has been available I've gotten quite a few requests/suggestions about how to evolve it. I don't know what the future plans are for the feature but I'm happy to share your comments with the product team.

Thanks for posting about it.

Sue.

• 15. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw
                                      KoMaruyama Adobe Community Professional

if you'd like to stay on a mobile device workflow to do your complete video production, you can use PremiereClip on your iOS or Android device.  This doesn't require you to move to desktop, and you can easily add music to your final edited video if you'd like.

• 16. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw
                                        Warren Heaton Adobe Community Professional

It would be amazing if Adobe Draw could animate painted strokes the way Painter 3 could (circa the mid 1990s).  Painter switched to playing back recorded brush strokes as completed strokes rather than brush strokes appearing over time with version 4.  Ever since that feature went away in Painter, I've been doing hand painted brush stroke animations via screen recordings.  While that works, it's not a straight forward.  

I think Art Rage Pro will export brush strokes over time with it's record while painting feature. 

Does Draw have a feature request page?  I'm not seeing it (nor any of the mobile apps) listed at Feature Request/Bug Report Form.

-Warren

• 17. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw

Hi Warren.

Like I told Angie, I'm not sure what the plans are for the evolution of the time lapse feature but... consider your request submitted. I'll personally pass it along to the drawing teams.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Sue.

• 18. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw
                                            QuercusFlorida Level 1

Hi Sue

I’m glad to see so many people are interested in the time lapse feature!

I’d really like to see it developed further.

On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 9:47 PM Sue Garibaldi <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 19. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw

Quercus.

It's a feature people have been wanting for quite some time so I'm not surprised by the response to it.

I don't know what the plans are for the future of time lapse but I'll definitely be sharing everyone's feedback/requests with the drawing teams.

Sue.

• 20. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw
                                                QuercusFlorida Level 1

Thanks Sue!

I will be anxious to see what develops.

On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 7:25 PM Sue Garibaldi <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 21. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw
                                                  alexism30093908

I dont have a timelapse option when i go to share my project. Can you please help me? I'm using the adobe draw app on my samsung galaxy.

• 22. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw

Hi Alex:

I've noticed that if I've used the Duplicate Project option (so that it looks like you have two or more Artboards) in a Project that the Share options reduce to "SHARE Link to Project" and "SENT TO Behance".  If I go one level deeper to where I can edit a single page that the Share option has the longer list that includes "SEND TO Timelapse".

Could this by why you're not seeing Timeplapse?

Adobe Draw SENT TO Timelapse with More Duplicate Projects (Artboards) copy.png

I'm using the iOS version of the app, but there's nothing that I could find in the FAQ for Adobe Draw that indicates that Android version shouldn't have Timelapse:  Answers to commonly asked questions about Adobe Illustrator Draw. Also, learn how to import your Ideas files, so that yo…

Although, if the Android version doesn't support PDF and PSD, it might not support MOV either.

-Warren

• 23. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw
                                                      alexism30093908 Level 1

Im not sure how to insert u a screen shot of what i see when i click the box with the arrow pointed up, so ill just list the options it gives:

-Publish a behance

-Copy to creative cloud

-Send to illustrator cc

-Send to photoshop cc

-Copy image to gallery

But when i click share , it just gives me a bunch of apps i can share to, share link, etc - but no option for timelapse.

And no i dont have it as a duplicate or many projects in one. Its just one drawing with about 5 layers.

• 24. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw

It sounds like Timelapse isn't supported on the Android version.

While it's very fun to play with, the playback is very abrupt in that it's effectively just a screen shot of each completed use of a tool.   I've always hoped a record option that plays back what you did in real time.

You could mimic Timelapse by taking a screen shot in full screen mode at the completion of each brush stroke and then assembling those screenshots as a Sequence in Premiere Pro or After Effects.  (Yes, a lot of extra work.)

Have you ever used Art Rage Pro? 

https://www.artrage.com/artrage-5/

https://www.artrage.com/artrage-android/

This application supports recording the painting process in real time in the desktop or mobile versions and then playing the script back in the desktop version.  While it won't export to a movie directly, a screen recording can be made of the script playback. https://www.artrage.com/manuals/scripts/script-files/

• 25. Re: Timelapse in Adobe Draw

Hi Alexis.

Warren is right; timelapse is not yet supported in the Android versions of Draw and Sketch.

Sue.