5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2008 9:48 AM by Newsgroup_User

Flash--Classroom in a book

bnther Level 1
      I'm trying to learn Flash by using the Adobe Flash "Classroom in a Book" and I'm stumped. The book is telling me to draw two overlapping rectangles for masking but every time that I do it doesn't come out right. If I use only one, things are fine, until I need to 'free transform". I don't like asking questions but I've got 7 hours into this chapter and I can't seem to make the tooling work for me.

Anyone familiar with the book would be most appreciated. :)

• 1. Re: Flash--Classroom in a book
          Level 7
          bnther wrote:
          > I'm trying to learn Flash by using the Adobe Flash "Classroom in a Book" and
          > I'm stumped. The book is telling me to draw two overlapping rectangles for
          > masking but every time that I do it doesn't come out right. If I use only one,
          > things are fine, until I need to 'free transform". I don't like asking
          > questions but I've got 7 hours into this chapter and I can't seem to make the
          > tooling work for me.
          >
          > Anyone familiar with the book would be most appreciated. :)
          >

Not familiar with the book, but perhaps you could upload the problematic
          file, we can look into it and tell you what's wrong with it.

--
          Best Regards

Urami

--
          "Never play Leap-Frog with a Unicorn."

<urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>
          • 2. Re: Flash--Classroom in a book
            bnther Level 1
            urami_

Thanks for the reply. Looking at the code would obviously be easier when offering help ( I should have done that first)

http://www.adrive.com/public/ac7f1a123050ea48ac8918040cac014b0b7b1e7a070c96b213702df88bd33 98f.html

• 3. Re: Flash--Classroom in a book
              Level 7
              bnther wrote:
              > urami_
              >
              > Thanks for the reply. Looking at the code would obviously be easier when
              > offering help ( I should have done that first)
              >
              >
              > http://www.adrive.com/public/ac7f1a123050ea48ac8918040cac014b0b7b1e7a070c96b2137
              > 02df88bd3398f.html

Try to break apart the mask object. Select the image on layer Mask and CTRL B.
              Do it to all the masks. You are drawing shapes with the "Object Drawing" option set ON, which should work w/o
              problem on a mask layer but in your case seem this is what cause the problem. After breaking apart each of the
              objects, everything seem to work fine.

The option of "drawing object" can be easily turn on or off. Select rectangle drawing tool and you will see
              little icon down the tool bar. Second last, a circle within a square shape. If you turn it off, your shapes
              won't be grouped anymore while drawing and using this option for drawing mask made the file works - in your case.
              Tho take note, with this option set off, the shapes will merge once you overlap them. They will become one.

--
              Best Regards

Urami

--

<urami>
              If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
              </urami>
              • 4. Re: Flash--Classroom in a book
                bnther Level 1
                urami_

That was exactly the answer I needed! It took me a little while to find the "drawing object" icon that you mentioned. But once I set that right, everything worked great.

Thank you. It's nice to A) have it working, B) understand what is going on.

Thanks again.

bnther
                • 5. Re: Flash--Classroom in a book
                  Level 7
                  bnther wrote:
                  > urami_
                  >
                  > That was exactly the answer I needed! It took me a little while to find the
                  > "drawing object" icon that you mentioned. But once I set that right,
                  > everything worked great.
                  >
                  > Thank you. It's nice to A) have it working, B) understand what is going on.
                  >
                  > Thanks again.
                  >
                  > bnther
                  >

You most welcome :)

--
                  Best Regards

Urami

--

<urami>