• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting FXL ePub with rasterized text

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign says when exporting Fixed layout ePub, text is not rasterize (implying live text is searchable and selectable, and reader can adjust text size).  Is there a way to get around that?  I have a complex ePub file I created with InDesign that I want to display with Adobe Digital Editions ePub reader for desktop but the text shows up in a different font and layout it badly messed up.  If i can export with text rasterized, this could help.  Converting text to outlines is not possible as my document is huge and many parts are buttons - creating text to outlines releases my buttons and would all need to be re-setup - not an option.  If rasterized text is not possible, are there other desktop (windows 7 and up) epub readers that you recommend that support all interactivity and videos?  I have tested many and they do not work (ePub eader, kindle, nook, FBReader, Calibre, etc..) HELP!  Thank you!!

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must use OpenType fonts and be sure you have the most up to date reader.

Other than that if you post the file somewhere I can see how looks on iPad and/or Mac as well as Win 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it seems to display perfectly on iBooks on iPad - i just have to find a desktop version as it will be used as a salestool worldwide and needs to accommodate different presentation tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try a test with a few pages and use OpenType font only and see what happens. I'm sure corporate will much prefer it using the specific typeface as dictated by our brand guidelines (Meta Pro)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you bought an ePub licence for the typeface, you would need one for MetaPro for an app? Alternatively TypeKit fonts (free with recent versions of InDesign) are licensed for ePub. Of course it's worth noting, the end-user can change the font on their device to suit themselves!

It might be worth exporting your document to Publish Online to see if that might suit your purpose better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fool proof? Surely you jest.

Any time you find something fool proof the world immediately provides a better fool.

Seriously, any OpenType font that allows embedding should work. The problem is with the readers that haven’t caught up yet. If it works in iBooks then it’s fine. It’s the reader that’s the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you meant your reply for the OP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m using email so sometimes it goes to the wrong person.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That might cause a red face sometimes!

The issue of licensing a font for ePub still needs to be addressed – as mentioned (and for example) you need one for producing an app using Meta Pro (see screen shot from: FF Meta Pro Normal - Desktop font « MyFonts

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 16.50.21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said, it needs to allow embedding. FWIW, the entire Typekit library allows it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did mention that it my earlier reply.

(MetaPro is not currently included in TypeKit.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

apparently i have no idea what i'm doing. Do you BobLevine have an OpenType font to recommend that will be fool-proof for my test?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2017 Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be worth you having a look at Circular Flow: https://www.circularflo.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP is on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, a shame, but maybe useful for Mac users following this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines