• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign does not include com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml in fixed layout EPUB 3.0

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2017 Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased the cloud InDesign a few months ago and have been happy with it. However, I've noticed issues with intertactive (javascript) functionality in iPads and after some digging I learned that Apple requires an com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml file be included in META-INF directory. It appears InDesign is supposed to generate that file but I don't see it after exporting in Fixed-Layout EPUB3.0 format. I've been digging around to find an option in InDesign to no avail.

1) Why would com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml not be included?

2) More generally, is it possible to automatically include any random file to an EPUB as part of the export process in InDesign? It will be very useful for other reasons

Right now, I have to manually unpack, add the file, re-pack (and you cannot just zip, you need to use an EPUB-aware app to zip it) and it's incredibly clunky as I test continuously and it's really slowing me down.

Thank you.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be worth you having a look at Circular Flow: https://www.circularflo.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to InDesign EPUB forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It isn't included because it's not required to create a valid EPUB 3 fixed-layout document. There are other platforms that support FXL that don't need that file in the META-INF folder. Adobe decided a while ago not to "cater" to proprietary ebook selling platforms (e.g., no option to export to MOBI/KF8). It's very aggravating, I agree! You might want to submit a feature request here: Adobe InDesign Feedback

OTOH I've been able to export FXL from ID, including some interactive features (requiring Javascript), and it previews just fine in iBooks. AFAIK that file is only for forcing a particular display preference (landscape vs. portrait, for example).

In what cases are you finding that manually adding that file solves your interactivity issues? I am curious.

AM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines