4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2017 12:09 PM by ryanb24083686

Turn off Move tool for holding down Command?

susukei

Macbook Pro 2017, Photoshop CC 2017

When I draw I usually have my left hand hovering over the COMMAND+Z in case I make a mistake, but it's annoying me that every time I undo something, clicking on the screen too fast will switch my brush to the move tool, and I have to press the command key a few times to get back to the brush tool (or at least, this seems to be working).

It's very annoying and breaks my flow though.

Is there a way I can disable pressing command for the move tool? or something.

• 1. Re: Turn off Move tool for holding down Command?
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

You have several options, but I can't say which is going to fix your particular issue.

Remove the shortcut for the Move tool.  If you have CC, then you can access this from the Edit Toolbar

If you don't have CC then gor Edit > Edit Shortcuts

The other option that mighjt be affecting you is Auto select

A lot of people find this feature annoying, and prefer to uncheck it, and enable it by holding down the Ctrl (Cmd) key while clicking on a layer.  Note the Layer drop-down.  This can be set to Group, which is also annoying IMO.

If I am not interpretting your question correctly, can you provide more details please?

• 2. Re: Turn off Move tool for holding down Command?
            ryanb24083686 Level 1

I have the same problem. Basically us artists like to be able to hold down the Command key without it doing anything, because we never really use the 'Hold down command to move or select a layer' feature, we only hold down command to press Z immediately after to undo something. I have also not been able to find a way to turn it off.

• 3. Re: Turn off Move tool for holding down Command?
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Look closely at your workflow.  If you want to work more quickly, then consider using a keyboard with programmable keys.  For instance I use a Logitech G910 on which one of the G-keys steps backwards.  So a single press of that key undoes one step, and another press the step before.  It makes for a fast fluid workflow, and I obsess about having to move the cursor or my fingers and inch further than I need to.

• 4. Re: Turn off Move tool for holding down Command?
                ryanb24083686 Level 1

It's just odd that this has been changed. Has it always been this way? I've now gotten used to pressing command + z, so It feels akward to bind it to another key. I was looking for a way to not have to change habits, but rather settings. Thank you for the reply though