3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2008 3:18 AM by January_jsd

SWF Optimization

January_jsd
      I'm still new to Flex3, and I'm glad this is my language of choice, but once you get passed all the language stuff and compile, you are - sometimes - left with a fairly large SWF file (a couple of meg, or so).

How do you reduce this file's size? What are the best ways/tools to do this?

I think, and from what I've seen, graphics are responsible for the main size increases, PNGs especially. I've tried compressing the PNGs, but you rarely get more than 10kb to 50kb saving there. And, I've tried the small line of 'flash optimizer' tools - the only one that kind of worked was Eltima's Flash Optimizer, and that failed miserably (a 1mb SWF was reduced to 172kb (nice), but the output file's graphics became ... nonsensical, hideously malformed gibberish); worse, the forum responsible for Flash Optimizer isn't taking any new posts, and their 'contact' form doesn't work.

Does anybody know of some good ways to reduce the SWF size (excluding not embedding assets)? If Eltima's Flash Optimizer can reduce 1mb to 172kb (granted, it didn't work correctly), there must be some reduction method available?

Cheers :)
        • 1. Re: SWF Optimization
          Level 7

"January_jsd" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g7s65n$eda$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I'm still new to Flex3, and I'm glad this is my language of choice, but
          > once
          > you get passed all the language stuff and compile, you are - sometimes -
          > left
          > with a fairly large SWF file (a couple of meg, or so).
          >
          > How do you reduce this file's size? What are the best ways/tools to do
          > this?
          >
          > I think, and from what I've seen, graphics are responsible for the main
          > size
          > increases, PNGs especially. I've tried compressing the PNGs, but you
          > rarely
          > get more than 10kb to 50kb saving there.

How are you making such huge PNG's? Any image of a size that makes sense
          for the web shouldn't be more than a few k in png format. Usually if you
          just use the Export settings you get by default in Fireworks when you export
          a 32 bit png, you should get a small file. If you're using Photoshop or
          something else, you're using the wrong tool for web graphics ;-)

• 2. Re: SWF Optimization
            EDendramis Level 1
            Read up on RSLs :)
            • 3. Re: SWF Optimization
              January_jsd Level 1
              Thanks for the tips - think it's just a question of working smarter, not harder (or whatever that phrase is ;) ). My graphics could be reduced to lots of smaller graphics (saving lots of space), and I'd just need add a few more lines of 'clever' to my code.

The main problem with the graphics is that most of them need to be PNG24 for the alpha side of things; if I was using PNG8s, then there wouldn't be a size issue. RSLs do offer an interesting space saving technique - saved over 100k on my first run of it!

Thanks again - useful tips!